ForumsQuestionsChanging status of task AND subtask

Changing status of task AND subtask
jonastidstrom

Posted: Jul 31, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Can I change the status of a task AND all subtasks in one go?

One way to do this in a few steps is to do a search for the specific task and then show all subtasks inline and then do multi-edit. But this is time consuming, especially if you have many tasks (with subtasks) that you want to change the status on.

The long story...

My motive is the following: I have a folder called "packing" which I use repeatedly when I travel. In this folder there are a number of items (not tasks) that I should pack. I group the items (subtasks) into collections (tasks) i.e..

sleeping gear
>sleeping bag
>thermarest
>pillow

tech gear
>laptop
>USB memory
>extra battery

bicycle gear
>bike carrier
>spare tire

Depending on the activity that I am about to engage into, I set the status to "None" or "Reference" and filter by "deferred tasks". The reason I use "None" is because then the items shows up as a plain list when I choose to filter deferred tasks. The reason I use "Reference" is because it is handy to have a list of all the stuff that might be handy to pack when you are planning your trip.

Now, think about this scenario: I am about to go on a bicycle trip and I don't bring my computer or other tech stuff. It would be sweet to change status of all items belonging to "tech gear" to "Reference", and "bicycle gear" as well as "sleeping gear" (and more) to "None".

One potential way (feature request?) to move a collection of items from the "Reference archive" (status="Reference") to the "packing list"(status="None"), would be to change the status of the collection (task) and then do the following search:

>all the tasks in the folder "packing"
AND
>all tasks having status "None"
AND
>all subtaks having the status "Reference"

and then do multi-edit and setting the status to "None". However it seems to be hard (impossible???) to search for:

>all tasks having status "None"
AND
>all subtaks having the status "Reference"

How would you solve this issue? Any ideas or comments are welcome. Thanks alot!!!

This message was edited Jul 31, 2011.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 01, 2011
To me, the obvious, but not necessarily the best, solution would be to create tags like, "sleeping", "tech" and "bicycle" and tag the appropriate parent and subtasks. Then, when you aren't taking your bike, filter on the "bicycle" tag, multi-edit and delete only those tasks.

Of course, as with most things in TD, there are other ways of achieving this.
jonastidstrom

Posted: Aug 01, 2011
That is certainly a way to do it! I am considering doing just that - however, I already use the tags in another way, and I try not to use the tags too much (in my experience the tags are so flexible [and good], so that when I start using them, they end up being too many and I loose sight of what I'm doing).

I use the tags for archiving purpose. For example, I went to Denmark (on a bicycle trip;) last week. All items I used on that journey have the tag Denmark2011, so that I can quickly return to that list if I am about to do something similar.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.