ForumsQuestionsCustomize importance algorithm

Customize importance algorithm
gadgetgeek

Posted: Aug 15, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I love the importance feature. Probably my favorite feature in ToodleDo, since it helps me see what I need to be working on now.

I would love to be able to tweak the algorithm myself. For example I have contexts for immediate items, items to watch, and items I'll get to later. I would like to adjust importance based on a task's Context.

Tough feature to implement, since it's hard to expose with a nice UI, has many dependencies, and few people would care. But would be nice if possible!
Folke X

Posted: Aug 15, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
What you could do in the meantime - while waiting for your desired feature diplaying personally calculated Importance levels in the list dividers - is at least create a task selection that corresponds to your personal definition of Importance, even though you would need to accept having it sorted in one of the standard ways.

Bear in mind that Toodledo's Importance is currently defined like this (copied from the Help section):

The formula for importance is : Importance = 2+P+S+D
P=priority
S=is it starred (0 or 1)
D=0 if due-date is non-existent or further than 14 days out, 1 if due-date is between 7 and 14 days out, 2 if due-date is between 2 and 7 days out, 3 if due-date is tomorrow, 5 if due-date is today, and 6 if overdue

What you could do yourself today is:

- determine how you would like the importance formula to look like - you could include Context or whatever you like in the formula
- determine a minimum importance level you want to see in your list
- determine the various combinations of field values that would produce this minimum importance level
- set up a saved search with all that in it

Piece of cake. But as I said, the list will only be filtered (selected) according to these personal criteria, but would be sorted according to one of the standard criteria.

(Personally, today, I do not use the "calculated importance" feature at all. I simply define what combinations of due dates, contexts, statuses, priorities etc I want to see in my various kinds of lists and save those searches. But who knows, if I could tweak the formula as you suggest, I might give it a shot :)
gadgetgeek

Posted: Aug 16, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Good tip! I never used saved searches, but it's actually quite powerful if used as you describe. Thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.