ForumsQuestionsGmail Extension

Gmail Extension
jdoree

Posted: Apr 14, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
One addition that I would love to see is better integration with Gmail. I have tried many online to do lists and feel that Toodledo is best suited for me.

Having said that, I also find Gmail itself to be a very good tool for organizing my tasks. If Toodle do had a Gmail Extension similar to Remember The Milk it we be clearly unbeatable. The vast majority of my tasks are the result of emails that I receive. Being able to add them directly to Toodledo we be amazing.

I know the Toodledo team is very busy but is there any chance something like this is being considered? Dare to dream...

(By the way, I tried Remember The Milk for a significant amount of time previously and have no regrets about my switch to Toodledo.)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 15, 2008
The Gmail extension that RTM built is a great tool and I commend them on it. The problem is (at least as far as I understand it) that Gmail does not have official support for Gmail extensions. The RTM extension essentially hacks into Gmail, which may be against Gmails terms of use, I dont know. We try to do everything through official channels so we don't get in trouble. If Gmail ever releases an API or SDK to officially allow third party extensions to their platform, then we will jump on board very quickly.
jdoree

The Toodledo extension integrates with Google Calendar. Do they have a different policy for Gmail?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, Google Calendar has a published API that allows third parties to connect to their service. This is how we were able to integrate with GCal. GMail, to my knowledge, has no such API. Any integration with it would be unsupported by Google and could potentially break at any time, or cause data loss or corruption, which is something that we want to avoid.
jdoree

Hmm... It probably won't do any good but I think I'll post something on the Gmail discussion group about making it easier for apps like Toodledo to integrate.
jdoree

Posted: Apr 16, 2008
Actually, Google has published an API that allows you to integrate with Gmail using Greasemonkey. If they've opened up that way I'm sure that an actual Firefox extension is fine as well.

It appears you don't need to be concerned.

If you are interested the API is here:
http://code.google.com/p/gmail-greasemonkey/wiki/GmailGreasemonkey10API

This is great news! Toodledo integrated with Gmail would ROCK!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 17, 2008
Cool! Thanks for finding that.

Another thing to add to our to-do list :)
james

Posted: May 22, 2008
Score: -1 Reference
I too would love this. Remember the Milk has a Firefox ext. that works inside the Gmail screen, but I Like Toodledo ;)
J-Mac

Posted: May 23, 2008
I used to use a number of GreaseMonkey scripts to customize Gmail - it was difficult at times when Gmail would change something and naturally the various script authors were not able to update their scripts at the same time. I never knew which script might be causing me Gmail problems at any given time. So I did two things:

First, I learned how the scripts work and began modifying/updating the scripts myself when a Google change to Gmail caused the scripts to stop functioning correctly.

Then Gina Trapani, the owner/administrator of LifeHacker.com created a Firefox extension which contained a collection of the best available GreaseMonkey scripts along with some nice skins and named it "Better Gmail". She updates it very frequently to try and keep abreast of Google's changes. Also, even if such changes make "break" one or two of the scripts the others in Better Gmail continue to work perfectly. This allowed me to abandon all the separate GreaseMonkey scripts yet still get the same benefits.

Jake, I don't know if you are acquainted at all with Gina, but if you could get a script together for Toodledo and have it roll into her Better Gmail extension that might be a handy way to get Toodledo to work within Gmail.

Additionally, with the large exposure it would receive then on LifeHacker, it would most likely get a lot more potential users to take a good look at Toodledo!

Thanks!

Jim
jdoree

Posted: May 24, 2008
I'm a diehard Lifehacker reader and getting a Toodledo Greasemonkey script included in Better Gmail would do wonders for Toodledo's visibility. It would be huge. That being said, it would have to be a very solid and useful script before Gina would consider adding it to Better Gmail or Better Gmail 2.
J-Mac

Posted: May 25, 2008
Well, of course! Why would I want it if it were not "solid and useful"??

Jim
jmdurant

Posted: Jun 10, 2008
a vote for this too...would love to be able to click "ToodledoThis" at the bottom of a gmail and have the dailog come up to send it into Gmail. In tooldedo click on the link and it would take me to the email message. That would be really cool.
Nathan R. Hale

Posted: Jun 29, 2008
Agreed. While Toodledo has a clear usability advantage in my mind to RTM, I can't wait to see the same level of integration with 3rd party services as RTM has. Gmail integration would put TD one step closer to taking over the todo list world!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.