ForumsQuestionsPostpone

Postpone
craig1f

Posted: Sep 09, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I've seen a few of these suggestions already, but I wanted to chime in for my support for a few things. I've just recently (yesterday) switched from RTM, and here are the things I've found so far:
1) Postpone: Please add this. Also allow an advanced setting that will specify what the postpone does. Some events, I only want to postpone for a day (RTM's default). But in some cases a week might make more sense (if it's an item that can only be done on the weekend, for example).
2) Subtasks: Needs some element of dependency. I need to buy screws and picture frames before I can hang up those frames. Subtasks are ESSENTIAL for DIY home projects. That's 50% of why I came here from RTM, only to find that subtasks don't accomplish what I'd hoped.
3) Start Dates: Please allow us to override the setting where items will begin to show up if their start date is within a day. I like to fill out my timecard at work in the morning after the day I worked. I don't like that item to show up until the day I have it on my list. Other things like take vitamins are similar. I want a reminder in the morning or every day, but I don't want to see that task the day before. I always forget to take my fish oil because I don't like putting it on my todo list.
4) Locations: It's been two days, and I haven't figured out how to use this competently yet. It says that I can use a location-aware smart phone. I have an iPhone, and I can't seem to figure out Locations on it.
Edit: Figured it out. I have to set Locations as a Used Field in settings to activate Location features. Makes sense in retrospect, but not immediately obvious.
5) The gmail/google calendar widgets are lacking.
6) Quick Add: I should be able to say something like "Drop off dog at Groomer tomorrow" or "Leave to pick up the wife 5p".

This message was edited Sep 09, 2011.
craig1f

Ooops, I forgot to change the name of this post after I ended up adding 5 other topics. My fault. This should have been called "Feature Requests".
craig1f

Also, if I put in a time, say 1:45, can't you just assume I mean "Today"? That's driving me nuts too!
Salgud

I gather from your posts that you haven't looked at the Help screens or searched the forums for answers to your issues. Some of them, in particular, item 3, are already fixable if you figure out how TD works. The best way to start is doing some inquiries, maybe even before you suggest enhancements?
craig1f

I've been looking through help screens, but search doesn't work very well. For example, Quick Add provides no results. And looking up Start Time didn't get me anywhere. Also "How can I hide tasks that are due in the future?" does not solve my problem, since I'm trying to hide things that are due or start in less than 1 day.

So I would counter with a 7th item to improve Help search. But I'm not actually trying to be combative. I'm trying to give an honest perspective of someone who is attempting to switch over from RTM.

I should also point out that the iPhone app and the toodledo website are much faster and more responsive than RTM. I don't grow white hairs waiting for them to load as I do with RTM. I also prefer the added control over tasks. And subtasks are still somewhat useful for grouping multiple tasks in the same category. The wife seems to like it more too. But still, it seems less intuitive in the ways that I've mentioned.
craig1f

Also:
8) When you import from RTM, for the "repeat" column, you don't distinguish between "after" and "every". So I had to go and fix every item I imported. On RTM "after" indicates repeat from completion, and "every" indicates repeat from due date. Fixing this will make it a little easier for those of us you wish to convert from RTM.

9) You should let me change the name of this topic to "Feature Requests from former RTM user" :-P
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Theres a lot of stuff here, so Im going to be brief

1) On our to-do list
2) On our to-do list
3) Experiment with start-dates and due-date modifiers and saved searches
4) Create a support ticket with a description of what you have tried and what you cant figure out
5) On our to-do list
6) On our to-do list. For now, click the "Add Task" button to fill in the information
7) On our to-do list
8) RTM doesnt export everything so we are limited in what we can import. I don't think that this is data that RTM exports.
Salgud

The key to using TD at a high level is the Saved Searches. Many of us seldom stray to the other Views, except to go looking for a task that's gone AWOL. I'm not sure in which view you're having the problem with tomorrow's tasks showing up. I use a lot of Saved Searches with this line in the search:

| And | Due Date | Is before | tomorrow |

which eliminates such tasks. Learning the finer points of Saved Searches is what gives you access to the higher end of TD's capabilities, and this is best done by following the forums and experimentation.

And no, you can't just enter 1:45 and let the software figure it out. A better, more intuitive date picker is on "the list" of over 1600 items that Jeff maintains for development. I'd like this to be easier too.

Task dependencies are also on "the list". A Postpone feature has been requested quite a bit lately, so I imagine it is too.

Quick Add could be improved - it only adds what you type without any way to fill in the various fields. It's just to capture a thought to be detailed later.

I too used RTM for a while, and also Things. Things is slowly dying from atrophy and I hear it's not much better at RTM these days, so it's a good time to move to TD, which is very much alive and well tended to, and, in general, more feature rich and flexible. Not to mention friendly forums, except for me! :) Every forum needs at least one curmudgeon to keep things interesting.
craig1f

The quick add thing makes sense, that it's to capture a thought to be detailed later. But is there a way to make it so a task that is captured without a due date or any other information, goes to the top of the list, instead of to the bottom, so I actually remember to detail the thought later? I sort of want items without expiration dates to sit at the top. Those are usually items that I'll get to whenever I have spare time. I don't want them out of site and out of mind, you know?

I'm starting to see that saved searches is the way to go. That makes a lot of sense. I sort of liked the Hot List, but it seems that a hot list is just a normal list that's ordered by Importance, and doesn't show items too far into the future.
craig1f

Thanks for the feedback btw. I didn't mean to look like I was coming out guns blazing.

To do lists have turned me from a disorganized slob into a highly organized and successful person in only a couple of years. I take them way too seriously.
Salgud

Posted: Sep 12, 2011
You can control where the un-categorized items show on your list with the Sort order. Of course, while you can do this to put tasks with no Due Date and the top, it will also put Overdue tasks at the bottom, which may not be what you want. This is another oft requested feature, to be able to create "composite" views, where you can combine different filter sets and sort orders and different view sections in one table. Not here yet.

I have an "Inbox" view (actually, it's "A Inbox" in my system, in order to force it to appear at the top of my Saved Searches to constantly remind me to check it). It filters out completed tasks of course, then tasks with no Context or Folder or Status. Every task in my system has these attributes, or should have. I've been using this system long enough that I seldom forget when I add a task, but I still need to check periodically to be sure. And occasionally, one slips through. You could add no Due Date to this list (I deliberately have lot's of tasks with no Due Date). I agree, it's not as good as having them at the top of your daily list, but until there's a better solution, it works for me. YMMV.

To do lists have turned me from a disorganized slob into a highly organized and successful person in only a couple of years. I take them way too seriously.

I take mine seriously too. Back in the day, before there was ADD/ADHD, we were just "disorganized". I could never remember lists, or more than two instructions at a time. I had a boss at a summer job during college hand me a set of Day Timers my second day there (1969). I took the hint, and have had some sort of task list ever since. I went digital in 1998. Regardless of how I do it, I need some sort of reminder system as I tend to forget, mostly the small items, but occasionally a big one. Not good. So I'm very grateful when I find one that works for me, which is not easy. I'm picky. That's why I love TD.

I'm constantly reminded, and amazed, that virtually no one I works with keeps much of a task list more than a sticky note based mess. And they're constantly surprised that they forget yet another important thing. We even have one manager here that openly states that "I hate checklists"! Of course, she's one of the biggest offenders at forgetting important stuff.

That said, I also try, with mixed results, to keep my sense of humor about it all. Life's too important to be taken seriously. :)

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.