ForumsQuestionssubtasks only go down one level?

subtasks only go down one level?
John Day

Posted: Aug 07, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I just bought the Pro Subscription to show my support for ToodleDo. However, as many users, I am disappointed at the 1 lever subtask. Yes, there may be workarounds, but they are not intuitive and practically mind blockers. I'd like to have a smooth thoughts flow while planning. It is just annoying every time you find yourself being forced to promote a subtask to parenttask just to make things in logical order. ToodleDo, you've done a good job in designing the new UI and making adjustments after you had listened to the users. Now would you please be kinder to add multi level subtasks and dependent tasks? I'd really really appreciate it!
Chris Advena

Posted: Aug 29, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I hear the alternatives, but I have many complex projects. I need multiple-level sub tasks, AKA infinite nesting (hierarchy). An alternative would be folder nesting, but task nesting is much superior. If you check out DGT GTD (on Android), it allows infinite task nesting and syncs with TD. The problem of course, on TD, the nesting doesn't carry over. From a data model perspective, infinite nesting is as simple as a parent child table.

On a separate topic (yeah, I know, open another discussion forum), wouldn't it be great if TD recognized start date and time in the importance calculation? If I say i don't plan to start a task until tomorrow, i really don't want it at the top of my task list.

And, oh yeah, next actions. As with MLO, love to have task order where completion of the next action (presumably task 1) sets the status of the next task (task 2) to status = Next Action. Okay, task order is something of an issue. If you allow task order to differ logically from start/due dates, it could be more confusing than helpful. I wouldn't recommend hard logic, but a soft warning when a user enters a conflicting order and start and due dates dont make sense would be a nice to have.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 29, 2011
Posted by cadvena:
I hear the alternatives, but I have many complex projects. I need multiple-level sub tasks, AKA infinite nesting (hierarchy). An alternative would be folder nesting, but task nesting is much superior. If you check out DGT GTD (on Android), it allows infinite task nesting and syncs with TD. The problem of course, on TD, the nesting doesn't carry over. From a data model perspective, infinite nesting is as simple as a parent child table.

On a separate topic (yeah, I know, open another discussion forum), wouldn't it be great if TD recognized start date and time in the importance calculation? If I say i don't plan to start a task until tomorrow, i really don't want it at the top of my task list.

And, oh yeah, next actions. As with MLO, love to have task order where completion of the next action (presumably task 1) sets the status of the next task (task 2) to status = Next Action. Okay, task order is something of an issue. If you allow task order to differ logically from start/due dates, it could be more confusing than helpful. I wouldn't recommend hard logic, but a soft warning when a user enters a conflicting order and start and due dates dont make sense would be a nice to have.

Sounds like a job for M$ Project. :)
Toddbg

Posted: Sep 04, 2011
Posted by Salgud:

I wholeheartedly disagree!
There are many of us who simply use Toodledo for our task lists and break things up in an outline mode.
There may not be (at least for me) any heirarchy of subtasks but multiple levels of subtasks needed.
I don't need gantt charts, nor project levelling, nor any of the other features that M$ Project provides.
We are not necessarily talking about True Large Projects. Just things that need tracking and doing in much of an outliner way. I love this webapp and the list on my phone.
just need *at least* one more level of nesting (though I would love 2 or 3 more).
Salgud

Posted: Sep 05, 2011
Posted by Toddbg:
Posted by Salgud:

I wholeheartedly disagree!
There are many of us who simply use Toodledo for our task lists and break things up in an outline mode.
There may not be (at least for me) any heirarchy of subtasks but multiple levels of subtasks needed.
I don't need gantt charts, nor project levelling, nor any of the other features that M$ Project provides.
We are not necessarily talking about True Large Projects. Just things that need tracking and doing in much of an outliner way. I love this webapp and the list on my phone.
just need *at least* one more level of nesting (though I would love 2 or 3 more).

I don't know of any task manager that has 5 levels of subtasks, task dependencies, and the ability to calculate some kind of importance to prioritize each task, as well as being transferrable to your phone. Project will do all of that. There is no requirement in Project to use CPM, Resource Leveling, Costing or even Gantt Charts, you can ignore them if you please. Besides, it's a lot easier to use Project to do all these things than it is to get the TD staff to add them all, especially when they've explicitly said they don't intend to. But, please, beat your head against that wall if you like. It'll feel so good when you stop!

And by the way, multi-level subtasks is a hierarchy, that's what it means.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.