ForumsQuestionsToodledo and iOS5

Toodledo and iOS5
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 24, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
The notification center isn't really designed to work that way. Toodledo cannot remove a notification when it is completed because Apple does not provide this functionality. We also cannot add items to the notification center without causing the phone to beep, so it wouldn't work to keep it populate with the current badge items. Apple just didn't make it work this way.
Mark Ottaway

Posted: Oct 25, 2011
Posted by Purveyor:
Toodledo already has reminders based on location. On your iOS device, go to Settings in Toodledo and then Field & Defaults and make sure that "Location" is in the list of "Fields Used". If not, then drag Location up from "Unused Fields" to "Fields Used" by using the 3-bar icon on the far right. Then go to Location Alarms in Settings.

On your iOS device, go to Settings, Notifications to put Toodledo in the Notification Center.

Hi

I am finding Location and location-based alerts almost unusable. "Location" is correctly in "Fields Used" and the iOS5 allows Toodledo under Settings > Notifications.

1. The first problem is with setting a Location. There appears to be no way to search contacts for an existing known address or to navigate and search the map that comes up except by painfully pinching/expanding and manually finding the address, then trying to hit the right spot with your finger. The map doesn't even have the traditional "centre map on my current location" tap option. (The first time one uses Location on iPhone or iPad, it also opens the map in random places, such as several continents away from you or the middle of the ocean!)

2. I would suggest Location Alarms be available by task as well as universally, and to allow settings such as "departing from Location" as well.

3. Where is the Help for Location Alarms? What does "Get Alerts" do for example (start/stop iPhone alert or is this for email alerts or something?) and what does "Sensitivity" change exactly? How does it work if you set a time alert and a Location alert?

Appreciate your help and apologies if this is obvious stuff I have missed.

Regards,
Mark
Jake

Toodledo Founder
1) The iOS app has limited ability to set locations by searching for places/addresses. You can do this via this website and then sync the data to the iOS device.

2) Thanks for the suggestion. This is on our to-do list.

3) The "Get Alerts" switch will turn on the location alarms, so that you will get notified about a location when you get near it. The "Sensitivity" options control how sensitive the alarm trigger is. If you live in an area with poor cell tower coverage, you may get false alarms, so you can turn down the sensitivity. Time alerts and location alerts are independent, so there is no interaction, and you will get both at the appropriate times/locations.
Mark Ottaway

Hi and sincere thanks for the reply. That all makes sense.

Can I suggest that #1 above go into your To-Do list as well? I.e.:
- A Google Maps-like map interface (address/business search, current location, etc), and
- A search option to go into contacts to find an existing address.

Thanks for the prompt response (as always), folks.

Regards,
Mark
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, these are on our to-do list.
runnergirl18

Posted: Oct 28, 2011
I believe there is a bug with the alarm, repeating tasks and the notification center.... I'll try to explain this so it makes sense.

In order for the tasks to show up in the notification center I not only have to set an alarm for that task but also have to add a specific time.... which is actually pretty silly for my tasks. I don't care about what time week to week. I work retail. I just want a task for a specific day. For example, i have a task to "fill the recycle bin" on Thursday every week. Don't need a specific time, just need to do it for pick up on Friday morning. I check the notification center many times throughout the day and i want those reminders in there until i'm done with all of them.

In order to use the notification center I have to set up a specific time. Ok fine, i set it for 4 pm and it shows up in the notification center. A lot of steps but fabulous. The new issue is when i check it off as complete, it doesn't come back as a recurrence. It just checks it off and i don't see it come back in the next 30 days.

Are there any plans to improve on this or will i always have to 1) set a specific time for notification center 2) keep adding to do's because the recurrence goes away.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
1) You don't need to set the time. If you leave off the time, it will send the alarm relative to noon on that day.
2) To make a task repeat, you need to pick a value for the "repeat" field. I sounds like you want to set the task to repeat weekly. Once you do this, the task will move forward by a week each time you check it off.
dbkelly007

Posted by Toodledo:
[quote]The notification center isn't really designed to work that way. Toodledo cannot remove a notification when it is completed because Apple does not provide this functionality. We also cannot add items to the notification center without causing the phone to beep, so it wouldn't work to keep it populate with the current badge items. Apple just didn't m

This message was edited Oct 28, 2011.
dbkelly007

After reading these posts, I was finally able to get my Tasks with alarms to be posted on Notifications. My problem now is that when I have completed a task, and checked it off as complete, it remains listed on the Notification Center. When I select it and the Toodledo APP opens, the item is still checked as completed. I tried removing the alarm and also shut down my phone but there was no change in the situation. So....What do I need to do to have a completed task not appear as a Notification?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There is no way for us to tell the Notification center that a task is complete. Apple has not provided this functionality. When you launch the Toodledo app on your iPhone, it should clear out all the Toodledo notifications from the notification center, so you may just need to launch the app more often.
dbkelly007

I opened and closed the APP several times with no change in status. Likewise, shutting down phone and closing toodledo on my imac effected no change. I finally on my imac selected the completed task that was the top item on the iphone notification list. I completed deleted it. After opening the APP and syncing, I rechecked the notification center and Toodledo no longer was present in the Notification Center. All five tasks that had been appearing had been completed and I had not added any new tasks with alerts because of this problem. I have created some new test task alerts but until I know whether I have control over this functionality, I am using the iphone reminder for any tasks requiring alerts.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 29, 2011
Here is what we know about how the notification center is supposed to work. When an alarm happens, it should appear in the notification center. When you open the app, it should clear out the notification center. This is how we are seeing it work. Deleting or completing a task should have no effect on the notification center. It sounds like maybe your notification center isn't clearing when it should.
runnergirl18

Posted: Nov 01, 2011
Posted by Toodledo:
1) You don't need to set the time. If you leave off the time, it will send the alarm relative to noon on that day.
2) To make a task repeat, you need to pick a value for the "repeat" field. I sounds like you want to set the task to repeat weekly. Once you do this, the task will move forward by a week each time you check it off.

No I'm telling you I have a bunch of tasks with alarms and no times and they do not show up in the notification center without a specific time. And for the recurrence, I have tasks that I set "weekly" and another that is for "Monday and Thursday". Just last night I checked off Mondays... It's gone. Thursday is not up yet. It is not working the way it should and it's getting frustrating.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 01, 2011
Can you please create a support ticket for this so that we can look into your account and see what the problem is?

Thanks
steve.romley

Posted: Nov 29, 2011
I don't se the ToodleDo app in my Notifications center on the iPhone. Are others having this problem?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.