ForumsQuestionsFuture Tasks on iPhone

Future Tasks on iPhone
Mr. Walt

Posted: Jan 25, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have a task with a start date of 10/15/08 and a "due by" date of 4/1/09. When I set the Future Tasks filter to OFF, Toodledo does not show this task. I want it to show because it is NOT a future task -- it started on 10/15/08, so it is an active task with a due date in the future. If I set the Futre Tasks filter to ON, Toodledo shows other tasks whose start dates AND due dates are in the future. How can I filter out all tasks whose start and due dates are in the future, but not filter out tasks that have begun but are not yet due?

Thanks for a great application. I love the iPhone app; I hardly ever use the internet app anymore.

Walt
SyneRyder

I'm having a different problem, but related to Future Tasks on iPhone - I have a repeating task that is due in 6 days, and set to be "Due On" that date. I have both my Hotlist and All Tasks filters set with Future Tasks = Off, but this task is still appearing in both lists. It's Top priority, but I don't want to see the task until the day it is due.

Is there a way I can hide these tasks? I have Toodledo iPhone 1.4.1.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The Future Tasks filter hides tasks with a future start-date and tasks with a due-date further out than 7 days. You can read all the details in our help section.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42
SyneRyder

Hmm, I guess I'm misreading that page - it says that "Sometimes a task can only be completed on a specific due date (like a dentist appointment) and being reminded about it ahead of time is unnecessary. You can fix this by putting an = sign before the date. For example "=2008-01-01".)

I have tasks with a due date of =2009-02-01, but are still showing up in my All Tasks on iPhone (even though it's still January, and even though Future Tasks = Off). But on the website, I *can* hide those tasks in All Tasks by clicking Hide Future Tasks.

It seems the behavior is inconsistent between iPhone and the website? I prefer what the website is doing, I'd like to hide those tasks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 26, 2009
I'll check on this. If the behavior isn't the same, then it is definitely a bug.
Mr. Walt

Posted: Jan 27, 2009
Back to my original question. I'd like to set filters so that my task with a start date of 10/15/08 and a "due by" date of 4/1/09 is visible, while tasks with future start dates are filtered out. Is there a way to set filters on the iPhone app to do this? If not, is there a workaround? Thanks for your help.

Walt
Dave

Posted: Jan 27, 2009
I've been looking into how to do this as well, and haven't had a satisfactory answer yet. It seems Toodledo used to work like this, treating a start date as a due date so that it allowed anything with a start date >=today to come past its filter. Maybe I'm nuts. Either way, I'd like to see that work.

I've been trying to setup a search like this too, but no luck yet. I've been told search views are coming to the iphone app.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 01, 2009
Mr. Walt,

I understand what you want to do and I agree that it would be useful. It is not currently possible, but I will add it to our to-do list.

Thanks
dennis

Posted: Feb 23, 2009
I would also like to cast my ballot for this kind of functionality.

I have my credit card payments set up as tasks with a start-date 7 days before the due date and that repeat every month from the due date. This works fine except for the fact that they don't show up in the list of 'things that I need to do today' until the last day and I don't always pay close enough attention to the tomorrow and next 7 days items. So, even though they are on the list, the fact that they get sorted into future groups is a problem for me.

Ideally, once these tasks reach their start dates, I would want to see them show up as 'things that I need to do today' and not 'things I need to do in the next 7 days'. Then, they should continue to show up as "Today's Tasks" until they are completed or past due. I can do this now by setting the due date to 'today' and then changing it everyday until I complete the task, but then the task repeats on the last due date that I used and not the day the task was actually due.

I tried setting them to be due a few days before the actual due date on the credit card statement, but then I don't have a record of when they are actually due and sometimes I need those last few days to make ends meet.

I don't know if everyone would agree with having these tasks show up as "Today's To-dos" so maybe this would be an optional functionality that could be triggered by prefixing the start date with "=" or some other symbol that would indicate how they should be handled.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009.
scottnwdw

Posted: Feb 25, 2009
I agree with Dennis. If a tasks has a start date, on that date the task SHOULD appear on todays list. Why have a start date if it's not going to show up on a list for today. Although the task may not be due "today" it is a task that needs my attention, that is the reason why I put a start date on the task in the first place. I agree with dennis' comment above.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.