ForumsQuestionsMain Toodledo webpage loads very slowly

Main Toodledo webpage loads very slowly
krellan

Posted: Dec 09, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I have a large To-Do list, about 1500 active tasks (it's a very long list that dates back to PalmPilot days).

Ever since the "redesign" of the website that took place a few months ago, the main Toodledo webpage has been loading extremely slowly.

Chrome pops up the "Kill pages?" watchdog prompt. It's not my computer, because I've also tried with Firefox, and also with other computers. The page just loads extremely slowly: there's a ton of JavaScript happening in the background and slowing everything to a crawl.

Is there a way to disable some features, or display an alternate view, to go back to the way it was before the "redesign"?

The iPhone Toodledo app is quite fast and responsive, which is a good thing, so I know it's not a problem with Toodledo's backend or my Internet connection. The problem seems isolated to some slow JavaScript on Toodledo's main webpage.

Has anybody also experienced this?

Josh
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 10, 2011
I'll bet the problem only happens when you are viewing the "All tasks" list. This is because every time you load the page, it has to transfer 1500 tasks to your web browser, which is probably about half a megabyte. It then needs to process and display this information. This will be slow no matter what we do. Your best bet is to avoid using the "all tasks" tab and instead use filters or other tabs to look at smaller slices of your tasks.
krellan

Posted: Dec 12, 2011
OK, but the problem didn't happen before, until the "redesign". It was beautifully fast before then. If Toodledo has scaling issues at 1500 tasks, that's something to be concerned about, because I'm sure there's people with more tasks than that.

I use Toodledo to gather tasks and prioritize them all for me, and being able to see the "All Tasks" view is important, because it's by far the most useful.

Would it be possible to establish a limit on the number of tasks shown per page, perhaps 100, and then give people little arrows they can push at the bottom of the page, to advance to additional pages? It's what large search engines like Google do.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 13, 2011
We already limit the page to showing 2000 tasks. After that it just becomes unusable. The vast majority of our users have fewer than 1000 tasks, so this hasn't really been a big problem. I don't know why it was working better before the redesign, because the data transfer and processing are the same. I will look into making the max page size user customizable so that you can set it to 100, but you should really consider looking at smaller lists, like the hotlist or using saved searches to find the important stuff in your 1500 item list.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
I have a similar problem with my 10,000 task list. Damn TD is just too slow! And I'll be adding another couple of thousand tasks soon, since 10,000 isn't nearly enough. Can you speed this up a bit?
Purveyor

@Salgud, your occasional attempts at sarcasm are not helpful, nor are they funny.

You often provide helpful comments and suggestions, and I'm sure that users appreciate what you have to offer.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2011.
krellan

Posted: Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for the update.

The site has just become unusable for me, unfortunately. It takes upwards of 5 minutes to load the page, and I have to keep dismissing Chrome's "JavaScript is running too slowly, kill this page?" prompt.

Running with other browsers or other computers doesn't help.

Is there a way to use ToodleDo without having to enable JavaScript? That would fix the problem neatly. The problem isn't my Internet connection or anything like that, because the iPhone app works great and is very fast and efficient. It's on the same wireless network.

Please, please, try to find some way to keep the page loading fast.

The old site, before the "redesign", didn't have this problem at all. I'm sure I can't be the only person who has noticed this!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We will look into speed optimizations that we can make for people with many thousands of tasks.
krellan

Nice, thanks!

My annual renewal's coming up in a month or two, and this is #1 on my list that will determine if I renew or not.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.