ForumsQuestionsfuture for Notebook feature

future for Notebook feature
eykanal

Posted: Dec 12, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
The Toodledo Notebook is the sad, neglected feature in an otherwise stellar featureset.

- No easy way to create notes externally (email, text, external programs, etc.)
- No easy way to format notes... requires html
- Notes are not exported when saving a backup file
- No tagging
- No way to connect a note with a to-do item
- No keyboard shortcuts for accessing or working within the Notebook view

Despite this, they're advertised in a buge tab at the top of every page, and on the iPod app it's a very high-visibility feature, taking up significant screen real estate on every view.

On the user side, every day that goes by we add more notes to other apps like Evernote, OneNote, or (my personal choice) SimpleNote, which syncs with Notational Velocity. I would love to have my notes all in one spot but Toodledo's notepad feature is simply too poorly featured to be useful.

I absolutely love Toodledo, and I've happily evangelized for them to dozens and dozens of people. I plan on continuing to use Toodledo for years, and I have to-do items with >1 year due date which depend on it. However, call a spade a spade... this feature is just bad. Any plans for reworking it?

This message was edited Dec 12, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 12, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Yes. The Notebook section is in need of much love. We just haven't had the time as we have been working on some other high-priority features.
eykanal

Posted: Dec 13, 2011
I know you always say "we don't comment on timelines", so I'll try to ask this more generally. Do you plan on working on this in the near-term or long-term future?
Salgud

I think I heard somewhere that they "don't comment on timelines". ;-)
eykanal

Touché. I'll settle for a "We plan on working on this" versus a "We don't plan on working on this" for now. It's been well over two years since this feature has seen any changes at all.

What gets me most is that they call other things "high-priority", yet this is the most high-visibility item on the toodledo main page, in terms of text size and color contrast. It has it's own tab and everything. Same with the iApp... permanently visible, all the time. Either work on it or make it a less visible feature. Leaving it highly visible and shoddy just doesn't name sense to me.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2011.
JPR

Posted by eykanal:
...It's been well over two years since this feature has seen any changes at all...

Notebook got some decent improvements in the July 11 redesign; enough so that I migrated my reference info into it from Simplenote. Also, the backup utility now includes Notebook data, as well.

FWIW, keyboard shortcuts and Notebook links are at the top of my list for improvements.
Salgud

@eykanal

I think "shoddy" is a bit strong. You have a point with the "high visibility" part. No doubt, the Notebook feature could use some help as you've stated. From what I've read here, this is not as high a priority as some of the more requested features dealing with the task management part of the software. If I remember right, which I don't always do, they're working on integrating EN and TD more than on enhancing TD's notebook feature. For those of us who already use EN, this would be great. When it happens, will it negate the need to enhance TD's Notebook? Will they continue to work on it? Will they remove it entirely? No one outside TD knows. Personally, I like having both, because I use them for different purposes.
eykanal

Posted: Dec 15, 2011
@jpr - The improvements you're talking about are all visual. Unless I'm mistaken, there were no new features.

@salgud - I'm sorry, I think "shoddy" is pretty apropos. There are only two "features" to their notebook:

1) Search through notes
2) Add them to folders

The second one isn't a true feature, as it's limited by the folders you have set up for your to-dos, which may not mirror your notebook requirements. There's no formatting, no tagging, no markdown support, no exporting, no easy printing, nothing that virtually every other notes program has.

As I said, it's pretty surprising, considering (1) how much thought they've given to continually improving the tasks features, and (2) how highly visible they've made the notebook feature. Maybe it'll get some love, maybe not, but I sure hope so.
recruiter57

Posted: Dec 15, 2011
Some additional Notebook features that would eliminate me from having to use other services would include:

* Bullets, checkboxes, and tabbing
* Bold, Italic, etc (Yes, I know I can do with the html coding, but I would hope this would be much simpler with a B for me to click on to bold something)
* Image uploading (this would eliminate any need for Evernote)
Joyce

Posted: Feb 23, 2012
What made me unhappy was when the html coding worked on the website but not on my iPhone. I understand it might not be the same code but it looked distinctly...cruddy.

Could I be missing something elementary?

We all want Toodledo to be amazing. It's why we fuss. :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
We are working on getting note HTML to display on the iPhone. It will be in our next big release, although we may have a few small releases in the interim.
Joyce

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Excellent!!
Kevin1

Posted: Mar 02, 2012
* Bullets, checkboxes, and tabbing
* Bold, Italic, etc (Yes, I know I can do with the html coding, but I would hope this would be much simpler with a B for me to click on to bold something)
* Image uploading (this would eliminate any need for Evernote)

I agree with these but realize that allowing image uploading would massively change the storage requirements for Toodledo's servers.

I'd like to see:
-in the iphone app, a big search button on the bottom that searches everything. 50% of time when I open the app on my iphone I want to search for something. And having to navigate from my default view of Hotlist Tasks (the other 50% of usage on my iphone :-) to all tasks, then pull to top, then wait i wanted to search a note.... is such a pain.

This message was edited Mar 02, 2012.
lynn.shapiro

Posted: Mar 11, 2012
Excellent! I have been using toodledo notes for years and was about to leave because the new update no longer provides HTML on the iPhone. But if it's in the near future I'll hold on a little longer...
Scott M

Posted: Apr 30, 2012
I've been trying to evaluate Toodledo and others as SpringPad has just transformed themselves from a useful productivity app to a social app.
There are lots I like about Toodledo, however, I hope someone revisits the capability to store images. For each version there could be a cap, such as the proPlus version has for file-uploads (10GB).
Any chance?
Thanks,
Scott
Joyce

Posted: Apr 30, 2012
I'm definitely in the "Please give the Notebooks some love" camp. I spent a half an hour formatting a note so it could look good to my "No Smartphones @ work, behind the curve" manager only to find the HTML tags didn't work in my iPhone and my note was a wallotext with formatting tags in it. I want to use the feature like I do AwesomeNotes.

I love love love toodledo
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.