ForumsQuestionsCustomizing Status

Customizing Status
alex_1324411055

Posted: Dec 20, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I see this question asked a lot but have not been able to locate an affirmative answer.

Can you customize the status field/ status selections?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Alex
dannyw0011

You can only select a status from the pre-determined list. You cannot define the list.
Salgud

Customizing the Status is on "the list".
dannyw0011

Posted by Salgud:
Customizing the Status is on "the list".

And we don't define that "list" either!
Salgud

You're right, we don't define it. But we have considerable influence over that list, both according to TD and by observation. Which makes perfect sense to me. As end users, we only care about our own needs, while TD has to consider the competition, market issues, timing, profits and so on. Based on these, and other considerations, the management of TD decides it.
dannyw0011

... a play on words, not a disagreement on business strategy.
PeterW 

Posted by Salgud:
You're right, we don't define it. But we have considerable influence over that list, both according to TD and by observation.

I don't think that's correct Salgud. I've seen posts from Jake that make it quite clear that he considers this forum unrepresentative of the user base and therefore he gives little weight to the requests made here. He works on the things he wants to work on.
alex_1324411055

Posted: Dec 21, 2011
I'm not trying to be aggressive with this question, but what good is a todo list that you can't customize?

Would I have the ability to customize the status display in the paid version?

Is there anything with the API's that allows the ability to do it?
Salgud

Posted by PeterW:
Posted by Salgud:
You're right, we don't define it. But we have considerable influence over that list, both according to TD and by observation.

I don't think that's correct Salgud. I've seen posts from Jake that make it quite clear that he considers this forum unrepresentative of the user base and therefore he gives little weight to the requests made here. He works on the things he wants to work on.

My experience is that what gets clamored for here gets into the software sooner. I haven't seen Jeff make such a statement as you're saying, in fact, not too long ago, he posted that these forums have a significant influence over what gets done. Of course, there are other factors as well.
dannyw0011

I'll throw this in. If I were a developer, I'm not sure what approach I would take. I could see advantages and disadvantages whether a developer posts their development plan.

However, to see another approach, look at the support forums for Ultimate To Do List. The developer, Dave, keeps a tally of requests and posts them in the forums. He devotes development time to the top requests. For Ultimate, you pretty much know what the next release will bring.
alex_1324411055

Thank you I will review Ultimate To Do. It's a shame this topic has been discussed for what appears to be over 2 years and has yet to be addressed. I know there are a lot of happy users and my dissatisfaction wont make or break Toodledo, but why not placate the masses with this fix?
Scott

I would probably use tags for this if I needed another level of sorting and filtering but the current status items work well for me.

sb
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The status field is not currently editable, but you can use tags to do this, or you could use contexts, goals or locations for this purpose if you don't already use those fields and don't mind them being labeled differently from your use.
PeterW 

Posted by Salgud:
My experience is that what gets clamored for here gets into the software sooner. I haven't seen Jeff make such a statement as you're saying, in fact, not too long ago, he posted that these forums have a significant influence over what gets done. Of course, there are other factors as well.

There are a number of posts in the News section. Can't find them all but here is one:

Posted by Toodledo:
One thing to keep in mind is that only about 3% of our users have ever set foot in the forums, and an even smaller fraction have posted a comment. So, what you read in the forums shouldn't really be used as a general barometer for the desires of the entire user base.

From this thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/7343/5/locations-reverse-sort-and-more.html

This message was edited Dec 21, 2011.
alex_1324411055

So how much to hire someone to customize the status display choices?
Salgud

@PeterW

I don't have time to hunt down his recent comment that the forums are important inputs, but, wouldn't you agree that there is a difference between saying, "What you read in the forums shouldn't be used as a general barometer" and "the forums don't influence our decisions"?
PeterW 

@Salgud - Toodledo has made it quite clear that the forums are a tiny percentage of the user base so what we may think is influential, to him it's close to insignificant and therefore I'd suggest not influential at all.

That's why he works on the things he wants to (e.g. features that are "interesting") rather than features that forum users ask for over and over again that you'd expect would be relatively simple to do (e.g. edit the completed date field).

I'm not being critical of Toodledo - this has all been made clear by him many times (usually followed by me posting "that's a bit depressing"). All I am trying to say is that it's fruitless being polyanna-ish about the influence of the forums in terms of future development.

As a vehicle for sharing knowledge about how we use Toodledo and for posting about bugs (which Toodledo is quick to respond to) the forums are great.
raymondvardanega

Posted: Jan 16, 2012
+1 for the ability to modify status... even ability to hide some status' as a stage 1. Cmon!

+1 for TD taking more note of forums. The 3% are the powerusers/mavens/free R&D...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We read everything posted in these forums and listen very carefully to our users. These forums, and our support tickets heavily influence our roadmap.
PeterW 

Posted by Toodledo:
We read everything posted in these forums and listen very carefully to our users. These forums, and our support tickets heavily influence our roadmap.

That's kinda inconsistent with previous comments you've made.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.