ForumsQuestionsMaking one task dependent on another

Making one task dependent on another
HarveyFrench

Posted: Jan 06, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
I love toodeldo and will still use it for perosnal tasks , but at work I'd like to use it bu need to be able to link tasks together to make the start of one dependent on the end of another - like in project.
I'm evaluating smartsheet with project and currently prefer smartsheet, but it is not as good a as toodeldo in many ways (particularly for use on android with DGTDGD).
Conclusion is use toodeldo for home, smartsheet for work but it costs $80/yr. So thought I'd see whether you guys have any plans to implement dependancies. Please, just simple ones...
Purveyor

Posted: Jan 06, 2012
There have been several requests for Task Dependency, for example, this one from November 2008:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/937/-4311/subtask-dependency-feature-request.html
And this one from a year ago:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/8961/-55502/task-dependency-status.html

There's also this post from Toodledo:
And I don't really keep track of task dependency. If a task can't be worked on for whatever reason, I give it a "waiting" status. During my weekly review, I'll look at all the tasks that are "waiting" and if any of their prerequisites have been done, I'll remove the "waiting" status.

We know that people really want task dependency so that tasks are automatically hidden if they are dependent on another task, and we do plan to build this. For me, it is much faster and more efficient to manage this manually with a weekly review that it would be to record all the complex inter-relationships between all my tasks.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1817/-8343/linking-tasks-by-tasks-that-proceed-another-one.html

This message was edited Jan 06, 2012.
Chris_45

Posted: Jan 07, 2012
I have a pro account, and give a task that is dependent on another an "pending" status and make it a sub task of the active task. On the website you can't check off a task that has incomplete sub tasks without an alert popping up, which will remind you to make the pending sub task current.

The downside of this is it doesn't work so well on the iPhone app as no warning appears there in this situation. But if you primarily use the web app this works pretty well.
hank_s

Posted: Jan 24, 2012
Related to this, I would like to have a recurring parent task with recurring subtasks with calculated due date. For example, let's say the parent is due monthly on 15th, then a task could be parent due -5, so due on 10th.

Full disclosure - I'm not sure how the current option (subtasks recur = parent) as the test task is not due yet.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 24, 2012
You can't set a subtask to have a date relative to the parent, but you can make them repeating on the same schedule. So, for example, you can make the parent due on the 20th and then subtask due on the 15th, and when you repeat them, it will retain the -5 relationship even though you didn't specifically specify this.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.