ForumsQuestionsPostpone Task with Recurrence Feature Request

Postpone Task with Recurrence Feature Request
Ambulologist

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Please add the ability to postpone the current instance of a recurring task by a partial interval. I've tried to state this in the lingo I've noted when others requested this :-)

In the meantime, can anyone suggest a workaround? I don't think I know enough about using Toddledo's many features to figure out a better way. Here is the scenario:

I have many recurring tasks (mostly weekly or monthly) that I'd *like* to do by a certain due date, but they are not firm due dates. If it is a few days (or even weeks for some) late, that's fine. They are really just reminders.

I would *like* to postpone/change the due date each day so that it shows up as "Due Today." (or tomorrow or whenever I think I'll get to it). However, that will mess up the recurrence. This is what I do with non-repeating tasks. So I just let the due dates slide into the past until I complete them -- even though they are not *really* due on that date.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Tee7

Just today I went through and deleted the repeating due dates of things that weren't actual hard due dates. I gave them start dates only instead. When they repeat, they repeat from the start date.

I'm also going to go through and see what I can give the optional due date to. Like taking the garbage to the road. Once it's past for the week, nothing I can do but let it slide to the next week. I have a couple of admin things that could be optional also.
Torysch

I agree that that would be nice.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Something like this is on our to-do list. Our suggestion has always been to give due-dates only to tasks that have hard due-dates. If the date is a "I wish I would do it by this date", it is probably better to omit the due-date and use some other method to prioritize it. Our other recommendation is to allow tasks to be overdue. There is no harm in having overdue tasks. In fact, it gives you an indicator of how much you have procrastinated which may help motivate you to do it quicker than you would if all the tasks were constantly due today.
Ambulologist

Posted: Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for the ideas! These comments and more reading lead me to think I have been misusing the "due date" field. Now I am looking at "other method[s] to prioritize" and organize my tasks.

I have been using due dates to make sure that I don't "lose" my tasks, by keeping them in front of me when I sort by due date. I will look at other ways to make sure I don't lose track of them.

I love the flexibility that Toodledo has, but it can be overwhelming trying to figure out how to harness it!
cabbage

Posted: Feb 28, 2012
Posted by mstee777:
I'm also going to go through and see what I can give the optional due date to. Like taking the garbage to the road. Once it's past for the week, nothing I can do but let it slide to the next week. I have a couple of admin things that could be optional also.

I use Toodledo for this exact scenario. Bin day is Thursday for me so my "Take out bins" task starts on Wednesday and is also due on Wednesday, repeating weekly from the start date.

If I wake up on Thursday and the bin men have already been, I just forgive myself and mark it completed anyway. It will pop up again next week and I can forget about it until then.
SES21

Posted: Mar 03, 2012
With my trash/recycle task, I have start date the day before with it optionally due on trash day at 8:00 & repeat Every Tuesday (our trash day) from due date. Whether I complete it or not, it reschedules itself for the next week with no overdue task. Checking it off only gives me the satisfaction & history of when & how often I've actually needed or managed to take it to the street!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.