ForumsQuestionsToodledo for Work and Home

Toodledo for Work and Home
nick.morgan

Posted: Mar 09, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I've been using Toodledo online and on my iPhone to organise my personal tasks for a while now and it's really working well. So well in fact that I now want to start using it to organise my daily work life.

I'm not sure of the best way to go about this in Toodledo. I don't just want a folder called 'work'. I'm looking for a completely separate task list with it's own folders and the ability to switch between both 'Work' and 'Personal' task lists whenever I like.

I've been trying to work out how to do this but I can't see the options. Perhaps i'm missing something.

Would appreciate any advice !

Nick.
alexandremrj_2

Hello,

that would be something like workspaces, which toodledo doesn't support.

What you can do is activate the Location field and tag all tasks as Work or Personal location (for folders and contexts you would need to append a W or a P before each one).

Then you can use a saved search for location and have only the list that interests you.

Hope this helps.

Alex
nick.morgan

Thanks for the information Alex. I'm somewhat disappointed that Toodledo doesn't have such a feature but perhaps i'm the only one asking for it !

A shame but i'll have to try out some of the other to do lists on offer.

Nick.
ukz_

You might want to re-think how you set up Toodledoo.

I use Contexts to differentiate between areas of focus (ie, work, home etc) as I have "everything" in the system but sometimes only want to look at one particular area.

There's plenty of examples of set ups in the hints and tips section.

I would be happy to go into more detail about my setup if it would help (nb, it isn't a true GTD set up though).

This message was edited Mar 09, 2012.
ben

Posted by ukz_:
You might want to re-think how you set up Toodledoo.

I use Contexts to differentiate between areas of focus (ie, work, home etc) as I have "everything" in the system but sometimes only want to look at one particular area.

There's plenty of examples of set ups in the hints and tips section.

I would be happy to go into more detail about my setup if it would help (nb, it isn't a true GTD set up though).

Likewise, I use contexts to delineate areas of focus. I implemented my layout in ToodleDo using the "Proximo" structure.

I am cursed with having to carry a work phone in addition to my personal phone. Fortunately both are Android so I have filters on the work phone for works stuff (including quick entry) and the same but for personal on my personal phone.

-Ben
dannyw0011

If you truly want to totally separate work from personal tasks, you can set up two separate Toodledo accounts; however, you would probably find it helpful at times have a list of combinations of both types of tasks. I know I do.

I personally use the Location field to filter out tasks as either work or personal related
neilcnewell

I also use an @work and @home context. In addition, I use a structure where work folders always start with W and home folders H - so very Easy \to differentiate. As an example, if I have a folder with a number of tasks around redecorating the house (which I do!) then the tasks are context @home (or sometimes @shopping if its part of a shopping list) and all the tasks are in a folder called 'H redecorating'.

works for me :)
JPR

If you do go the two account route, you can use two different browsers and have both accounts active that way. On the iPhone, you can do it with two different apps, or one app and the mobile site on Safari.

Personally, I'd recommend a redesign/tweak of one Toodledo account.
PeterW 

I also have @work and @home contexts but sometimes I can do personal stuff at work and vice versa, so I use tags. I have two tags, 'business' and 'personal'. I don't use any other tags so all I have to do is select one tag to display the tasks I want to see. In conjunction with the contexts, I can get exactly what I want.

This message was edited Mar 09, 2012.
Folke X

I also recommend Tags (or Contexts) because they can be selected using the quick filter ("Show"), which means you do not have to set up as many saved searches as you would need to if you would choose Location or Folder or any of the others fields.

You can also set up double versions of all your lists (called 'saved searches' in Toodledo), one set for Work and one for Personal, e.g. a Now list (Today / Focus / Do - same thing, different name), and a Next list (actionable items) and lists comprising all your things including the maybe-never-evers and things you are waiting for others to finish. That's all up to you,what lists you want, but you need one set for each area if you want to keep them separate, or use the quick filter.

Everybody's life is different, but personally I certainly would not like to separate my Areas completely. What needs to be done now needs to be done now, regardless of Area. I need a 'Now' list that comprises all areas. I use the areas mainly for long term planning. You have chosen to have only two areas, Work and Personal. I have chosen to have seven "roles", because it suits my perspective on what I do and it serves my needs both for long term planning and for quick and precise checkups. Either way, you can narrow down to the areas you want by using saved searches and/or by using the quick filter.

Or you could look at other apps that have a 'sticky' global Area filter, which most users of those apps use for Work and Personal.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2012.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.