ForumsQuestionsRadio buttons or links to set priority more quickly/easily?

Radio buttons or links to set priority more quickly/easily?
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 24, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
@Purveyor - your posts in this thread have been insightful, eloquent and entertaining.

@Salgud -
None of the above changes the fact that you, and others, are telling a man with a very successful business that he is an idiot, and you know how to run his business far better than he. We do agree on one thing, at least. That I'm fascinating! :)

You have missed your calling, sir. You would have made a great "shock jock" on the radio.
Salgud

Posted: Mar 26, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
@Purveyor

I meant what I said. Finding someone to replace himself to handle the forums would put him out of touch with a good source of user feedback (I know, you don't believe he pays any attention to it, as you've said here many times. He's just wasting his time, for some unfathomable reason).

One of the problems of many companies in this and other businesses is that management loses track of what the customer thinks and wants. Branson, the British billionaire who owns Virgin records and Virgin Airlines, is known to occasionally go to Heathrow, a formidable endeavor in itself, and get on one of his airline's flights and serve his customers himself. He talks with both crew and passengers to find out how they feel about the airline's service. Why doesn't he send someone else, or just ask the flight crews? Because second-hand knowledge is nothing compared to first-hand knowledge. If you don't understand that, then all your knowledge of straw men, etc, is wasted.
Purveyor

Score: 1 Reference
Okay Salgud, I made a deliberate effort in my last post to be conciliatory but it is clear that you prefer fighting.

You continue to make distorted claims and irrational distinctions. You are more interested in inflammatory rhetoric than you are in rational debate.

By bringing up a comparison with Branson you are arguing against your own position. The Virgin Group has 50,000 employees. Toodledo has two, and Jake is the only one who handles customer inquiries.

Anyway, I'm done educating you. Good luck with your one-man fight. Knock yourself out.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2012.
Salgud

Score: -3 Reference
Anyway, I'm done educating you.

Don't feel bad, you're not the first! :)

You can't educate me because I believe that knowing what your customers want is not a function of how many employees you have. It's something every business person needs to know, and can't be delegated. You have a lot of "book larnin'", but not much common sense.

As far as the teaching part goes, I've taught hundreds of classes to thousands of students successfully, and if I know anything at all about teaching, it's that arrogance is a very bad start. Not all that good as a finish either, as you have so aptly demonstrated.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2012.
PeterW 

Posted by Salgud:
You can't educate me because I believe that knowing what your customers want is not a function of how many employees you have. It's something every business person needs to know, and can't be delegated. You have a lot of "book larnin'", but not much common sense.

As far as the teaching part goes, I've taught hundreds of classes to thousands of students successfully, and if I know anything at all about teaching, it's that arrogance is a very bad start. Not all that good as a finish either, as you have so aptly demonstrated.

I hope you're not unwell Salgud because you're last few posts contain some of the most confused and illogical thoughts I've ever witnessed (not to mention one of the clearest examples of irony in the quote above).
Purveyor

Posted by PeterW:
@Purveyor - your posts in this thread have been insightful, eloquent and entertaining.
Thanks. I've often been impressed by your succint, lucid posts.
:)
cj

Posted: Mar 29, 2012
Thanks for chiming in, Purveyor, with some reason and rationality. My comment was merely a playful parody of Toodledo's knee-jerk, canned message about new feature suggestions. And I was wrong to even reply to that other guy. To borrow from a phrase "arguing with a troll only proves that there are two."

And I agree - there are some people who spend their days on forum boards just to feel important or superior, and somehow appoint themselves moderator of all things: appointing *themselves* the arbiter of spelling, grammar, truth, justice and the American way. Usually you find them commenting on political blogs, but some find their way on to forums like this.

Toodledo is great; I've been a user and fan for many years, but leaving a suggestion on these boards is very much like asking the FBI about space aliens: you will get a predictable "we cannot confirm or deny the existence of ..." response, to the point where it is amusing to those of us who read these forums frequently.

But now that you mention it - there are some really great, and well established methods of allowing users to post suggestions or bugs in such a way that the severity and popularity of the suggestions can be collected and tracked. And actually these methods save the developer a lot of time - rather than have them read message boards and type responses (google code/project tracking comes to mind). It would be so simple for Toodledo to enable one of these methods, and very time saving for them (and us).

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted: Mar 30, 2012
Posted by cj:
Toodledo is great; I've been a user and fan for many years, but leaving a suggestion on these boards is very much like asking the FBI about space aliens: you will get a predictable "we cannot confirm or deny the existence of ..." response, to the point where it is amusing to those of us who read these forums frequently.
I've noticed, though, that Jake's recent comments have been more informative. He really is maintaining a very high level of responsiveness.
cj

Posted: Mar 30, 2012
Posted by Purveyor:
I've noticed, though, that Jake's recent comments have been more informative. He really is maintaining a very high level of responsiveness.

Sure (I am assuming Jake is the ToodleDo guy responding here) - they have been great, and even better is that they respond to private support emails quickly and personally. Buy IMHO they do need a different way to manage specific feature requests and bugs/anomalies that don't include having to read every single comment on these boards! The example I gave (here's another: http://code.google.com/p/smoothgestures-chromium/issues/list
is a solid and popular way of doing this) and it would not only save the ToodleDo folks hours per day of monitoring the forums - but would consolidate for all of us the reported issues, and feature requests.

For instance - if I had an idea for making repeating tasks more efficient, I could just go to the 'requests list' and see that I was the 80th person to think of it, and merely upvote it instead of cluttering the forums with yet another request. Toodledo could see the feature requests all in one place along with how popular it is and make their own determination as to when to include it. But at least we all could see that it was acknowledged in one place. Saves everyone time and energy.

Just a suggestion.

And yes, I know: 'Toodledo cannot give a timeframe for ...' ; )

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.