ForumsQuestionsGetting started with GTD and TD, for an aspie!

Getting started with GTD and TD, for an aspie!
symowallo

Posted: Mar 31, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
I've read a lot about all the different tools available for managing tasks, lists and so on. And RTM cops a lot for not doing subtasks. Whilst TD cops a bad rap (at least initially in reviews) for its interface. And I'm wondering "Why wouldn't they put this feature in or that feature? There must be a good reason for it" and maybe others have found ways to work without actually *needing* subtasks in the first place.

I'm trying to pick a tool (I've attempted GTD before, but wasn't disciplined enough back then...), and it's between RTM and ToodleDo, to help bring my life under control. I have several projects for clients at the same time (IT Consulting) and several internal and personal projects at once, along with wanting to know what I have to do every day and what to do when I have a spare few minutes here and there.

I know the GTD methodology doesn't spell out what you actually need in a task management tool, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. My own way of doing projects is to break them into subtasks because that's the traditional way of doing it.

Oh, I must also mention - I am afflicted with Asperger's. So right now I'm obsessing with ensuring that whatever tool I'm picking is the right one (sorry, can't help that, I know I should work the methodology first, then pick the tool, but I can't work that way). So I don't necessarily need to stick with GTD, but I need structure, and I *need* a system that I can stick with religiously, because focus is a problem for me.

How do people out there manage projects as well as the day to do with this tool? Do you think that what I'm asking is possible? I could have 10 different things (new projects etc) thrown at me in any one day which I'll manage, plus communication with clients, plus managing staff, plus a couple of projects I'm actually doing myself all at the same time, and I want to ensure that the tool I pick is the right one rather than testing every single one. I realise there's an element of testing at the onset though.

Another thing - my general work environment is - Win laptop with Outlook 2010 and Exchange, Android tablet and iphone. I realise there's clients to cover the portable devices, but I need something that can integrate calendars from all of the above.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!
cabbage

TD overhauled its user interface last year. I would check the dates on the reviews you found since I suspect they will be referring to the old interface.

I used to use RTM and liked it initially. Eventually I became dissatisfied (can't remember why) and switched to Toodledo as an alternative.

In terms of tools, I follow the book's recommendation to start with paper. It is ultimately flexible, customisable and portable.
Dave

Ditto on paper, it is very underrated. RTM doesn't make sense for me since you can't do it without a lot of custom searches which get very annoying and require too much thinking to do. Please don't sweat the tool so much. Focus on getting things done.

David Allen published a pdf on his website on how to use GTD with Outlook 2010. Very good.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012.
symowallo

Posted: Apr 01, 2012
Thanks cabbage and Dave.

I will get the braindump onto paper as a starting point for sure.

DO you guys use Outlook with ToodleDo, or just ToodleDo on its own?
cabbage

I use gmail, google calendar and Toodledo.

Collection is (in order of preference) "Inbox" context on TD, on bits of paper, smartphone camera, letterbox in my front door.

(The sooner everyone admits to the letterbox as another forced inbox and puts a paper recycling bin next to it, the better!)

I used to use the GTD setup with gmail but I noticed two problems:

1. Having partial lists in two places turned out to be more mental overhead for me that taking the time to enter them as projects and next actions in TD. Gmail has the advantage that you can copy the URL of the email into a note for a direct link to the email.

2. Gmail's search is so powerful that I always used it to find what I wanted despite the folders (tags) I set up. Goodbye tags! These days I have an @Action tag and an @Tomorrow tag. (and maybe a couple of temporary ones for short-lived projects)

@Action is used for emails I need to do something about but don't have time to process right now. I use it sparingly and process it whenever I empty my other inboxes. The advantage is that I can see at a glance if there is something genuinely new in the real inbox.

@Tomorrow is for mailing lists that I have subscribed to. I don't want to be disturbed by them throughout the day. Once a day, I go through and read yesterday's mailing lists. If there are too many or I'm too busy or I miss a day then they get deleted. (Or moved to @Action if something really is important)

I hope that helps!
Dave

I use Toodledo on its own with Gmail and Google calendar.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.