ForumsQuestionsHow does parent and sub task repeat?

How does parent and sub task repeat?
tariqbamadhaj

Posted: May 06, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Good Day

I am keen on creating several parent tasks where each has several child tasks with various repeat frequency.

For example, I have a task to clean aquarium which needs to be done every week and is the parent tasks.

I have 4 child tasks with the following repeat frequency:
- change water (weekly)
- change sponge (monthly)
- change carbon (bimonthly)
- change biomax (quaterly)

If I had a repeat function tied to the parent task (which is weekly) and I mark that parent task as complete, I understand that it marks all child tasks as complete.

Does that mean any due date I have set for those child tasks (which I didn't complete) will be marked as completed and repeated based on their frequency?

Or will they just be carried over to the newly created parent tasks with their original due dates I had set?

Thank you.
JCarl

This will not answer your question but it is my understanding that Parent tasks are only accomplished by the completion of children and act more as a description. I have another program that actually uses the latest due date of a child as the Parent and you don't touch the Parent.
Purveyor

Posted by tariqbamadhaj:
Does that mean any due date I have set for those child tasks (which I didn't complete) will be marked as completed and repeated based on their frequency?

Or will they just be carried over to the newly created parent tasks with their original due dates I had set?
I don't know the answers to your questions but have you tried creating some sample tasks to see what happens?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 07, 2012
I think the subtask documentation will explain it pretty well:

http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

Repeating subtasks will only be marked as completed if they are set to "Repeat with parent" which uses the parent's frequency. Since you need different frequencies, your best option is to check off the subtasks first and then the parent.
tariqbamadhaj

Posted: May 11, 2012
Posted by Toodledo:
I think the subtask documentation will explain it pretty well:

http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

Repeating subtasks will only be marked as completed if they are set to "Repeat with parent" which uses the parent's frequency. Since you need different frequencies, your best option is to check off the subtasks first and then the parent.

I've read that but I'm not sure. In this case, my child task has a longer lead time (3 months before the next event) than the parent tasK (which happens every week). So I would only be marking the child complete once every 3 months. In that same time frame, I would have marked the parent complete 12 times.

As such, how would it be if I were to mark of the parent after completing it but not the child since it is not yet due? Will the child be carried forward with the due date that it's always had or will it change since I marked the parent complete?
JPR

Posted: May 11, 2012
Posted by tariqbamadhaj:
As such, how would it be if I were to mark of the parent after completing it but not the child since it is not yet due? Will the child be carried forward with the due date that it's always had or will it change since I marked the parent complete?

When you check off a repeating parent, only those subtasks marked "repeat with parent" and those with "no repeat" will be auto checked off. Any subtasks with different repeats will not get checked. It's pretty easy to test. Setup your parent and subtasks with repeats, but keep them as "repeat from due date". Then you can repeatedly check them off and see how it works. If satisfied, change back to the proper due dates and edit to "repeat from completion date" (I'm assuming that's what you want.)
tariqbamadhaj

Posted: May 14, 2012
Posted by JPR:
Posted by tariqbamadhaj:

When you check off a repeating parent, only those subtasks marked "repeat with parent" and those with "no repeat" will be auto checked off. Any subtasks with different repeats will not get checked. It's pretty easy to test. Setup your parent and subtasks with repeats, but keep them as "repeat from due date". Then you can repeatedly check them off and see how it works. If satisfied, change back to the proper due dates and edit to "repeat from completion date" (I'm assuming that's what you want.)

Yes, that is exactly how I want it to work. If it does, that is awesome.

I did set it up that way and when I checked, it did not work as you mentioned. I thought it was a 3rd party app (am using DGT GTD) issue but also wanted to check with other users here as well.

Will have to verify it again.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 14, 2012
It could very well be a 3rd party app issue. If you setup some fake tasks and test it on this website, you will see what happens.
JPR

Posted: May 16, 2012
It works on both the website and the native iOS app for me.
tariqbamadhaj

Posted by Toodledo:
It could very well be a 3rd party app issue. If you setup some fake tasks and test it on this website, you will see what happens.

Yes, it looks to be caused by the third party app. Another reason why Toodledo needs to have an Android app :)

Please, please, please, please, please come out with one :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Please consider using our new mobile website which works on Android, and works offline.

http://m.toodledo.com
tariqbamadhaj

Posted: May 17, 2012
Posted by Toodledo:
Please consider using our new mobile website which works on Android, and works offline.

http://m.toodledo.com

Good call on that but I would love an app for time and location based reminders.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.