ForumsQuestionsAutomatically mark a task as complete?

Automatically mark a task as complete?
tannen

Posted: May 18, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to have a task automatically marked as complete on a certain day. I have done a fair amount of searching on this and haven't found a way to do it. I understand that this is not good GTD practice, but...

I have a particular task that I would like to have show up on a certain date in the future and be visible for x number of days before it's removed or marked as complete. I've played around with setting start dates, due dates, etc but I have not hit on a way to to do what I want. My current setup is a folder view with Recently Completed Tasks and Future Tasks deselected.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 18, 2012
Optional tasks will automatically go away when their due-date passes. So you may be able to do what you want with a combination of start-date and due-date and then making it optional.
Al Briggs

Posted: May 21, 2012
What is an optional task?
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
The Help screens are your friend!
simon

Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Al Briggs:
What is an optional task?

You can set a due date for your task to be Optional, look in the Help files under Due Dates (https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42). If you're saying that the task doesn't actually have to be marked as done, it just needs to appear then disappear, this could do it for you.
tannen

Posted: May 22, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
Over the last few days I tested some tasks with different dates that were set for "Optionally On" and it worked perfectly - thanks for the advice!
simon

Posted: May 23, 2012
I'm pleased that worked for you but I'm curious, why would you need a task to disappear without you having to mark it complete?
tannen

Posted: Jun 05, 2012
I work in IT and one week a month I'm responsible for managing support tickets. The schedule is done a month in advance, so I want to have a task show up on the date that I start doing tickets and have it disappear the day after I finish my shift.

Unfortunately, I still don't have this working. I thought the testing I did worked, but the task that was supposed to show up today did not. I had set the start date for today and set the due date as Optionally On one week from today. Since the task didn't show until I unchecked Show Future Tasks, I'm assuming that setting acts only on the due date and not the start date. For future tasks like this one, I guess I'll set the due date as optionally on for the next day I am scheduled and just manually remove it when I finish the shift. It looks like I can't do what I was hoping to do.
Salgud

Posted: Jun 05, 2012
I have many tasks that show up on my own "Hotlist" on the day they start. I use a filter, "Start Date is before tomorrow" to do this (along with a number of other conditions).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.