ForumsQuestionsLink tasks so that completion of A causes completion of B?

Link tasks so that completion of A causes completion of B?
nutbut

Posted: Aug 23, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
This is want to do. It's pretty simple, but I haven't found a way:

I want to exercise six days out of the week. I want at least two of those days to be running, and at least two to be weightlifting. The other two days can be running, weightlifting, or something else.

So I create a once-every-three-days task for running, a once-every-three-days task for weightlifting, and a every-day-but-Sunday task for exercising. The behavior I want is that every time I check off either the running or weightlifting tasks, the exercise task is automatically checked off as well; and I also want to be able to check off the exercise task by itself, without checking off the other tasks, in case I do something else which I consider exercising, like maybe playing soccer.

One might think of it as having subtasks that work in reverse. Or as one subtask having multiple supertasks.

Does this functionality exist currently? If not, is it likely to exist in the near future?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You may be able to do this with subtasks, but it sounds like pretty complex behavior. Im not sure that we can do this.
Purveyor

Posted by nutbut:
I want to exercise six days out of the week. I want at least two of those days to be running, and at least two to be weightlifting. The other two days can be running, weightlifting, or something else.
Good! Just do it. ;)

Okay, so besides doing it, you also want to keep track of what to do and what you've done, right?

First, Toodledo cannot do what you described, and I think that it is highly unlikely that this functionality will ever become available.

A few suggestions, though.
1. Create some exercise tasks ("Running","Weighlifting","Other Exercise") and assign them to a goal, e.g. "Fitness" or "Becoming stronger" or something that makes sense to you. Then you can view your tasks by Goal.

2. Use Folders, Contexts and Tags to track your exercises, e.g. Task="Weighlifting", Context="Home", Folder="Exercise", Tag="Legs". (I'm not saying that you should use all of the fields, but you have options.)

3. Instead of using Toodledo, you could track your exercises by using a mobile app (there are many available for iOS and Android) or by using one of several online fitness trackers.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012.
JPR

You need this capability to save yourself the effort of 4 "checks" each week? How about this: on your four required days, check off two tasks. Done.
Purveyor

Actually, not sure why there are two tasks instead of the one exercise that was completed that day.

If the intent is to track "Exercise" overall, then use a field like Folder or Goal.
JPR

Tracking is secondary, and in service of the goal... which is doing.
cj

Posted by JPR:
Tracking is secondary, and in service of the goal... which is doing.

If tracking is not the primary goal... then I do something similar (very similar), and have had two different approaches.

1. the simple approach.
Daily repeating task: Exercise: Workout/Run 5m/Martial Arts
and I merely check it off if I perform one of these tasks.

2. more complex approach, with a little tracking (a 'for instance'):

One time setup:
GOAL: (Lifetime) = "Physically Fit"
Daily Task: Exercise (optional daily)
Sub Task: Weights (optional daily) - Goal: "Physically Fit"
Sub Task: Running (optional daily) - Goal: "Physically Fit"
Sub Task: Martial Arts (optional daily) - Goal: "Physically Fit"

Every Day Use:
"Exercise" shows up in my daily todo ... I click on Exercise and check off the one that I did (say, running), and also check off "Exercise" (if I want it to disappear from the list - this is optional)

Soooooo.....
in other words.
Every day, "Exercise" appears, with the 3 choices. I check off one.

Later, if I want to see progress, I can look at "Goals" and see how each of the 3 exercises contributed to my Goal of "Physically Fit". Or I can look at the charts for more details.

I know this took a long time to describe, but it is really quick and easy, and a One-time setup.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012.
nutbut

Posted: Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

Admin: I don't mean to be argumentative, but it really doesn't seem that complex to me. It's basically a less-complex version of subtasks.

JPR: I suppose my request might sound a bit goofy if you suppose that the running/weightlifting dichotomy is the only set of tasks I want the functionality for. The exercise task was one example; my full set of long-term goals includes about five such sets of tasks and subtasks, the rest of which require more than three entries each.

cj: That setup looks promising, and I will try it out. Thank you for the suggestion.

Even if cj's setup does work for me, I'm not too dismayed to hear that the exact functionality is not present in Toodledo. It's not really vital to my personal system, it just would've been a nice shortcut.

Thanks again for the responses.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.