ForumsQuestionsAuto Syncing App w/Online account

Auto Syncing App w/Online account
jsbutterfly

Posted: Sep 29, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
My wife just set up a Toodledo account mainly to sync the native Reminders app on her iPhone to Pocket Informant. We have the process figured out but the only "problem" is that we can't get the Toodledo app to sync w/her online account automatically. Is that a possibility? Just to clarify, I will walk you through how she would like to use it.

Step 1 - Tell Siri to remind her of something
Step 2 - Toodledo app automatically syncs reminder from iphone Reminders app
Step 3 - Toodledo app automatically syncs to online account
Step 4 - Pocket Informant automatically syncs to Toodledo online account
Step 5 - Siri reminder is in Pocket Informant

This would be a seamless integration of the iPhone native reminders app and Pocket Informant. The only step that we can't get to happen is step 3. Hopefully there is just something that we are missing. At present it appears that the only way to perform a synchronization from the Toodledo app to the online account is to open/close the app or edit something w/in the app. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Purveyor

Posted by jsbutterfly:
This would be a seamless integration of the iPhone native reminders app and Pocket Informant. The only step that we can't get to happen is step 3.
Seamless? :-|

How are Steps 2 and 4 happening automatically? You still have to open Toodledo and Pocket Informant, don't you?

When do you want the Toodledo app to sync with the online account?

My opinion: There are too many steps and it's very likely that, at some point, something will go wrong with one of the steps and your wife will miss an important task.
Better to go with a simpler setup.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I would recommend that your wife try to use our iPhone app by itself. This will cut out many steps. If you really want to use Pocket Informant, then these steps will work, but to make step 3 happen you have to launch Toodledo. This is because Apple does not allow apps to sync in the background, so Toodledo has to be running to sync.
Andrey Ustyuzhanin

Posted: Nov 26, 2012
Jake,

may I ask how other applications like Mail, GMail, Facebook can receive notifications while being in background? Can't Toodledo do the same?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 26, 2012
Mail can sync in the background because it is Apple's app and it has that honor. 3rd party apps like GMail, Facebook and Toodledo cannot sync in the background. GMail and Facebook give the illusion of syncing by using remote notifications. Essentially, they send a message to your phone that there is something new and the next time you open the app, it downloads it. It does not download it until you launch the app. Same with Toodledo. Toodledo cannot download any information from the website or from Reminders until the app is launched.

Hope that explains it.
Andrey Ustyuzhanin

Posted: Feb 24, 2013
Still wouldn't it be possible to do the same - send notifications from server to customer application about due dates about to happen (or that it has just happened)?
I have several monthly tasks and if I don't happen to open toodledo on daily basis I usually miss them by day or two which is frustrating really.
mco

Posted: Feb 24, 2013
Posted by Andrey Ustyuzhanin:
Still wouldn't it be possible to do the same - send notifications from server to customer application about due dates about to happen (or that it has just happened)?
I have several monthly tasks and if I don't happen to open toodledo on daily basis I usually miss them by day or two which is frustrating really.

Why don't you set Toodledo to send a daily email then?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 25, 2013
Yes, you can have Toodledo send a notification from the server to your phone. You can set this up in the settings section under "Date Alarms". Pick the 3rd option "Data alarms come from website"

Of course, the website will need to know about the task to send you the alarm, so if you input your tasks into Apple's Reminders app, you will still need to open the app to sync Reminders to our website.
Andrey Ustyuzhanin

Posted: Feb 25, 2013
this 3rd option was referenced to as 'least reliable' so I used to have it on 2nd option.
Let's see what difference will it make.

mco: thanks for email suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.