ForumsQuestionsRepeating tasks

Repeating tasks
david.cronshaw

Posted: Nov 09, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi

I've just started using the tool (an hour ago) and selected it because I could see it does repeating tasks.

At least that is what I thought!

When I put in a task and selected repeating, I expected it to fill up my calendar going forwards with the task - but that does not happen.

Have I missed a configuration setting or something?

Many thanks, D
wksims86

Posted: Nov 09, 2012
Hi David!

Unfortunately repeating tasks do not show up across the calendar going forward. You will only have visibility of the next task, although it will automatically repopulate to the next instance once you complete the event.

So if you have an event that repeats every Wednesday, you will only see next Wednesday's event until you complete it, and then it will show up on your tasks list and in your calendar.

If you need a task to show up on every future due date, it can be done but it takes a little extra work. You can create a parent task, create a subtask for every due date, change the start date of the subsequent tasks to after the previous task, then change your visibility settings for that folder to not show future tasks that haven't started yet. You should be able to only see the currently due event, but all of the events should show up on your calendar.

Although it might seem like an irritation, I think it was designed this way to keep from overwhelming your calendar with tons of repeating tasks. Though a toggle option would be nice, I don't believe one exists yet.
kenneth.vogt

Posted: Nov 10, 2012
The current functionality is what would "overwhelm your calendar with tons of repeating tasks". How will I know that there is in fact no available time on a particular future date if these tasks don't show?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 10, 2012
Toodledo is not a calendaring application, it is a to-do list which has some subtle differences. Repeating tasks is one of them. With a calendar you would expect a repeating task to appear on each day going infinitely into the future. If you had every future version of your task on your to-do list, your to-do list would have an infinite amount of items on it, and it would be unusable. Also, we have the option to repeat a task on the completion date instead of the due-date, which means that we don't know when the task repeats to until you check it off. For this reason, repeating tasks are not rescheduled until you check them off.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.