ForumsQuestionsDelete instance of repeating task

Delete instance of repeating task
thpope

Posted: Mar 12, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Is it possible to delete a single instance of a repeating task without deleting the repeating task?

In other words, I want to delete, instead of complete a repeating task, and have a new task (also repeating) show up based on the repeating rules.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 12, 2009
This isn't possible in one step. You'll need to complete the task (to make it repeat) and then delete then delete it. Or, you could manually move it forward to skip the version that you want to delete.
thpope

Posted: Mar 18, 2009
Thanks. I would like to request this as a feature.
cj

Posted: Apr 13, 2009
Yeah, this is a real pain of an issue for me - and also makes the "chain" feature useless.

If I have a daily (repetitive) task to Exercise then if I do not work out that day - what do I do? My choices seem to be:

1) check the skipped task as done.
even though I did not perform the task that day.
This defeats the purpose of tracking these tasks. Besides - I broke "the chain" and I want this be be recorded.

2) don't check the task as done.
So the next day - my Workout shows up as an overdue task (yesterday's task - not today's). If I do the task (workout) today, my only option is to check the "workout" task and it will be recorded as if I completed it YESTERDAY .. and after I check as done - it will show up as a current task today. Messed up. And the chain is messed up to.

3) delete the task
But this would delete the repetitive (daily) task. I don't want to do this.

Am I missing something? Is there another way?
Claudio

Posted: Apr 13, 2009
Yes, there is another way:
You can also designate a task as optional by placing a "?" in front of the due date. This acts like "=", but if the date passes and you have not completed the task, the task will be automatically removed, or moved forward if it is a repeating task.

Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 14, 2009
Or, you could edit the due-date manually to push it ahead to the next occurrence, thus skipping the current occurrence.
cj

Posted by Toodledo:
Or, you could edit the due-date manually to push it ahead to the next occurrence, thus skipping the current occurrence.

... or I can put a tiny little paper post-it note on my screen to cover up the field ; )

c'mon ... bumping the date manually is not a solution (PARTICULARLY tiresome on a handheld - and when you have several to do)
changing the due date every time is what i am doing NOW - and want to 1) avoid this repetitive task and 2) it does not solve the problem (the "chain" won't know if I completed the task or skipped the task).

This message was edited Apr 14, 2009.
cj

Posted by Claudio:
Yes, there is another way:
You can also designate a task as optional by placing a "?" in front of the due date. This acts like "=", but if the date passes and you have not completed the task, the task will be automatically removed, or moved forward if it is a repeating task.

Hey thanks for this ... while the "?" does not seem to have any effect - or at least not with my problem - you did point me to some of these other subtle features that will help later.
thpope

Posted: Apr 23, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
? only works when repeating is set. Although it doesn't always work for me lately (it isn't consistently moving the date forward).

Feature request for Toodledo: Can you make it so that if I use the ? prefix on the due date and do not have repeating set, that you simply change the date to the next day? I would also like to choose to move to next day or next work day. I suppose that would need to be a setting in the Account Settings.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 23, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
thpope

Posted: Apr 24, 2009
You're welcome.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.