ForumsQuestionsover-assigning my time

over-assigning my time
nwilbar

Posted: Dec 02, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi!

I have a couple of quick questions, and I have been trying to figure things out for myself here and think I must be missing some important information.

1.) When I assign a due date to something, I often do so randomly, just so I finally start accomplishing things and making headway in life. But when I pick that "random" due date, I haven't found a way in Toodledo to see if that day already has 637 other things assigned to it, or if it's even a day I have open to schedule anything on at all. Are there ways to view things on a calendar like that? It would be really ideal I guess if each thing or group of things that was assigned was assigned a "time slot", and that slot was then blocked off so you couldn't overschedule yourself. Also . . . I'd love to take maybe one day a week and schedule nothing into it so I could have overflow time for unfinished jobs. As it stands right now, my "past due" list gets longer and longer each day, and I don't want to keep re-assigning things to other days willy-nilly until I find a way to make assigning a little less arbitrary.

2.) Also . . . if jobs are daily jobs . . . is there a way to have them roll into the next day when they haven't been done. So on Monday night if I don't "run dishwasher", do I really need to check it off as done to see it on Tuesday's list? I would think that by the time I refresh my screen on Tuesday morning, it should just be in the Tuesday job list. Toodledo knows it's a new day, toodledo also knows the box is unchecked, and Toodledo knows it's a daily task. So theoretically there must be a way for the task to just roll over, right?

Thanks all!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 02, 2012
1) I always recommend that people only use due-dates for hard dates, like appointments. If you are just picking an arbitrary date, then it cause cause lot of past due tasks that build up and cause to-do list fatigue. I recommend using priority and status instead, and then doing a weekly review of your list and marking tasks that you want to do that week with a star. Thats how I do it at least, and it works for me.

2) You can do this with an optional task: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=119
nwilbar

Posted: Dec 03, 2012
Thank you Jake. That is all very helpful indeed.
Mike

Posted: Dec 05, 2012
Posted by Jake:
1) I always recommend that people only use due-dates for hard dates, like appointments. If you are just picking an arbitrary date, then it cause cause lot of past due tasks that build up and cause to-do list fatigue.

Can tasks with no due date repeat?

How does the logic for that work?

This message was edited Dec 05, 2012.
Mike

Posted by Mike:

Can tasks with no due date repeat?

How does the logic for that work?

I think I may have answered my own question...

If a task has a start date with no end date and it set to repeat then the task will roll forward based on the repeat schedule but will have no due date and won't show in the hotlist unless it is a certain priority (2 or above). it will be listed under started which mean my hotlist will get smaller but will be an actual "hotlist" when i complete those items, I can reference them from the started list.

do I have that right?

This message was edited Dec 05, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, I believe you have it right. A task can repeat from either a start-date or due-date.
Steve_1354340810

Posted: Dec 06, 2012
I solved the issue of having to rollover unfinished tasks by using the Hotlist as my main view. I have defined the Hotlist to be:

a priority of at least 3 (which I never use) and
a due date within the next 1 days - which captures everything overdue or due today.

Simple and it seems to work.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.