ForumsQuestionsHow to search tasks & subtasks in next 90 days?

How to search tasks & subtasks in next 90 days?
jpv2112-s

Posted: Dec 16, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
TD seems to offer 2 levels of search rules: either an OR list of ANDs, or an AND list of ORs...

I have a search to reveal items due in the next 90 days (or the past 30 days in case they've been neglected). However, the subtasks of these items are not showing since they often don't have due dates of their own and functionally should not be separated from the parent task.

I'd like to modify my search to show the no-due-date subtasks too but I cannot seem to figure out how to modify my search rules to achieve this.

Has anyone else had success doing this or something similar?
Salgud

Posted: Dec 17, 2012
Try
Due Date is in the next 30 days
or
Due Date is in the last 90 days

This will apply to both parent tasks and subtasts, so both should show unless some other filter prevents it.
JPR

I think your simplest solution is this.

Keep your due date search as is.

Make sure Settings > Tasks > Subtasks = Indented mode shows loose subtasks. (recommended)

In the Show menu on the Search page, set Subtasks to Indented. Now in your custom search, any parents that meet your due date, should have a "Show All" link under the trash can on the far right. Click it and your subtasks will magically appear. You can also click on Permanent Link (via the actions arrow) and quickly isolate that parent and its subtasks. (a killer feature, IMHO)

I make sure all my Saved Searches are "Indented" friendly, so I never have to change that setting. Permanent Links always open in a "Search" tab.
jpv2112-s

Thanks for the replies.

Salgud: My sub-tasks often don't have due dates themselves, so they don't appear in the saved searches like the one you described--i.e., they're hidden by the search rules.

JPR: I do see the "show all" link and have been able to reveal the subtasks, but I'd rather not have to click "show all" on each parent task each time I reload the page.

I don't quite understand your enthusiasm for the permanent link feature. AFAIK, it just provides a hard-coded link to show one particular task. I'm not sure why that's useful since I'd have to bookmark that link, and it will be moot once the task is completed, and is not linked to any saved search.
JPR

Posted by jpv2112-s:
....I don't quite understand your enthusiasm for the permanent link feature. AFAIK, it just provides a hard-coded link to show one particular task. I'm not sure why that's useful since I'd have to bookmark that link, and it will be moot once the task is completed, and is not linked to any saved search.

I use the Permanent Link feature as a quick way to isolate a parent and it's subtasks in a distraction free environment, since looking at every task, parent, and subtask due in the next 90 days would overwhelm me. :) YMMV.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.