Problems with new Hotlist behavior
(Sorry, this isn't a "bug," couldn't edit that setting.)
Hotlist behavior has changed, and it it causing problems for our clients and us. (Hotlist now suppresses tasks that meet all the Hotlist setup criteria when Start Date has not yet arrived.)
Problems with the new approach as implemented:
1) Hotlist Settings has no way to disable that new Start Date filtering. It doesn't even warn you about it.
2) It assumes a specific meaning for the Start Date field. Part of Toodledo's power is that the user can customize the fields and apply their own interpretations to those fields. But Toodledo now assumes that Start Date means "hide until" in the Hotlist. Not all users want to think of Start Date that way. For example, at least three popular time management approaches uses Start Date as a loose goal date, not a "suppress until" date.
3) #2 creates surprises. Each day we check the hotlist, and one day a hot task pops up that wasn't there the past 3 days. (Omitting Start Dates for those tasks doesn't solve it--it makes those tasks sort poorly in other views.)
4) Surprisingly, Priacta TRO trainees are confused by the repercussions of the new Hotlist (observed in remote desktop training sessions with a coach).
We figured a custom saved search would work just as well. But when we showed the trainees use the saved search, they were confused and more resistant of Toodledo:
a) Two "hotlists" is confusing, especially when the default one is the wrong one.
b) Since sort orders are only saved at the the top level instead of the list level, they are now forced to change the sort order several times a day. The saved searches don't work well if the sort order is wrong. (Before, they rarely changed sort order in the Search area, and they were OK with that.)
- Provide another option in Hotlist Settings to "Hide tasks from the Hotlist until ____ days before the Start Date." Default is 0.
Is there any hope for something like this?
This message was edited Feb 20, 2013.
Our hotlist criteria hasn't changed. Tasks with a future start-date have always been hidden.
The way to avoid this is to make a saved search with your own custom hotlist criteria or to disable the start-date field in account settings.
We plan to make the hotlist more customizable in a future update.
You cannot reply yet
U Back to topic home
R Post a reply
To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.