ForumsQuestionsHelp to find some features.

Help to find some features.
mooskagh

Posted: Apr 15, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Last year I bought a year subscription of both pro version of toodledo and nirvanahq. I end up choosing only nirvana for the year, but now as subscriptions are expiring I would like to take another try with toodledo to decide what of them to extend.

Toodledo is a pretty complicated one, so there are some features which I was unable to find:

1. Sequential tasks.
If task contains several subtasks, I'd like it to be possible that only the first uncompleted task of the list is listed in views like "hotlist".
And I don't want to manually mark the first subtask of the task with star or something.

2. Task (with subtasks) template. The FAQ says I can use priority -1 for such tasks. But subtasks still have higher priorities and are shown in views.
If I make all subtasks priority -1, then when I clone the template, I need to set all of them different priority manually (and I have a template with 67 subtasks, so it's quite time consuming).

3. I try to use folders for nirvana's "Next", "Later", "Someday" categories (is that a valid usage?). The problem is again with tasks containing subtasks... If I move the task from "Later" to "Next", for example, subtasks are still in "Later".

Could anyone comment on those? Thanks.
Salgud

Posted: Apr 15, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by mooskagh:
Last year I bought a year subscription of both pro version of toodledo and nirvanahq. I end up choosing only nirvana for the year, but now as subscriptions are expiring I would like to take another try with toodledo to decide what of them to extend.

Toodledo is a pretty complicated one, so there are some features which I was unable to find:

1. Sequential tasks.
If task contains several subtasks, I'd like it to be possible that only the first uncompleted task of the list is listed in views like "hotlist".
And I don't want to manually mark the first subtask of the task with star or something.

TD does not currently have this feature. It is on "the list". I do what you say you don't want to have to do, select the next subtask in the list manually.

2. Task (with subtasks) template. The FAQ says I can use priority -1 for such tasks. But subtasks still have higher priorities and are shown in views.
If I make all subtasks priority -1, then when I clone the template, I need to set all of them different priority manually (and I have a template with 67 subtasks, so it's quite time consuming).

I think what the FAQ means is that template tasks (usually projects) can have a -1 priority to prevent them from showing up in views of active tasks. You can change that when you create the actual project from the template as described below.

3. I try to use folders for nirvana's "Next", "Later", "Someday" categories (is that a valid usage?). The problem is again with tasks containing subtasks... If I move the task from "Later" to "Next", for example, subtasks are still in "Later".

The best way I know to handle sub tasks is described somewhere in the FAQ, but I don't remember where, so I'll briefly describe it here.

Repeat projects are kept as templates, which I keep in a Templates folder. They all have -1 priority. When I wish to create a new project from one of these, I click on the parent's arrow icon and select "Clone this task". The clone will appear immediately below the original (template) in the task list. I go to that new parent task and click on the arrow icon, this time selecting "Permanent Link". This isolates the new project and includes all subtasks from the template. I then modify the name of the parent task to differentiate it from the template. Finally, I do a Multi-edit of all of the task, and change whatever fields I want to change collectively, including Priority, setting it to the appropriate priority for that project. I can also move the project to another folder at this point if I wish. This way, I don't have to edit the priority individually.

Hope this helps.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.