ForumsQuestionsEdit All Fields Without Showing

Edit All Fields Without Showing
Allen

Posted: Apr 10, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Is there any way to edit an item, with access to all fields, without having all fields enabled in the multiline/column view? I use all fields, but I don't need that much information on screen at any given time. I want to open an item in an editor similar to the new item creator -- where I have access to all--then return to a slimmed down list. Is this possible?

Additionally, and I guess this is a feature request, it would be great to be able to configure the shown fields independently for the column and the multiline views -- multiline can accommodate a lot more information without horizontal scrolling but column mode can give you more information without so much vertical screen used.
Claudio

Posted by Allen:
Is there any way to edit an item, with access to all fields, without having all fields enabled in the multiline/column view?
Simple answer: No.
it would be great to be able to configure the shown fields independently for the column and the multiline views
Good idea. Also, it would be great if the first line of the Multiline view could be configured to show more than one field.
Allen

[quote][quote]Is there any way to edit an item, with access to all fields, without having all fields enabled in the multiline/column view? [/quote]
Simple answer: No.[/quote]

That's a bummer. Feature request! :)

[quote]
[quote]it would be great to be able to configure the shown fields independently for the column and the multiline views[/quote]Good idea. Also, it would be great if the first line of the Multiline view could be configured to show more than one field.[/quote]
[/quote]

Absolutely! Ideally, for me, it would just mirror the column view. Actually, that could hybridize both suggestions and make it unnecessary to toggle the two--
Have multiline view "column" view when collapsed, show details for all fields when expanded. Then you've got a compact view, but easy access to a more robust view.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2009.
frossie

Am I missing something here? The settings that allows you to tick which fields are used really are what fields are used (and displayed). AFAIK there is no concept of "a field is in use but it is not displayed" in any kind of view. Multiline versus grid does not display different fields, just differently arranged.

This vexed me in the beginning but I now realise it's actually a good design interface choice since the system never hides information from the user.

I have had to shrink my columns to fit everything in a non-scrolling window in grid view, but that works quite well.
Allen

I can appreciate your argument for "never hiding information from the user", but don't necessarily agree. I won't go as far as to say it vexes me, but I personally would like to be able to hide a great deal of the information for general skimming. I can locate what I'm looking for, visually, with less noise -- then once I've honed in, zoom in to more information. Multiline versus grid, no--they don't display different fields. But I want them to! :)

It's not a huge deal, I just feel like I could spend a little less time in toodledo and more time doing what it was keeping track of.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.