ForumsQuestionsSTART DATES

START DATES
rozanholbrook

Posted: Nov 12, 2013
Score: 4 Reference
Please add ability for start date to default to yesterday in setting.
Wayne T.

Score: 0 Reference
This is the last missing feature for those who use Michael Linenberger’s MYN (Master Your Workday Now, or Master Your Now).

Part of Michael’s system is setting the start date to today for tasks you want to put on your “Target Now” list, those things that aren’t urgently due but you want to get done today. If Toodledo had an option to set the start date default to yesterday, then as new tasks are added throughout the day, they would show up on the task list, but wouldn’t mess up the Target Now list that was made at the start of the day. Michael recommends the Target Now list be recreated each day by changing the start date to today for those tasks you want to be part of that list.

The other software Michael promotes is Microsoft Outlook. Toodledo already has one feature that Outlook doesn’t: the due date is not tied to the start date and both can be set independently.

If Toodledo implemented the ability for the start date to default to yesterday, then it would be the only software to correctly handle all of Michael’s recommended workflow. That would be a powerful selling point for Toodledo, especially since Michael is still actively promoting his mythology and recently released another book. This could also trigger Michael to update his subscribers and trainings about the new features of Toodledo, bringing it to top of mind awareness again.
Jesse 3KE

Score: 1 Reference
Oh please add this is will be monumental in being able to accomplish my tasks and goals.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into it.
Adam W.

Posted: Nov 13, 2013
+1 Definitely needed! This is the reason my coworker still uses Outlook and doesn't want to switch to Toodledo.

I'd even be willing to pay for a Gold level subscription if it included the ability to make tasks with today start date stand out in the list with a different color or bold font.
Salgud

Posted: Nov 14, 2013
Score: -1 Reference
Posted by Darren B.:
I'd even be willing to pay for a Gold level subscription if it included the ability to make tasks with today start date stand out in the list with a different color or bold font.

This is exactly what Saved Searches are for!
Wayne T.

Posted by Salgud:
This is exactly what Saved Searches are for!

Currently due tasks can be formatted to show red and done tasks can be greyed or stricken through. How do saved searches change the formatting of tasks that have a start date of today?

This message was edited Nov 14, 2013.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
Saved Searches make tasks with a start date of today stand out by being the only tasks showing. They stand out even better that way when in a list of all kinds of other tasks.
Wayne T.

Posted: Nov 15, 2013
Posted by Salgud:
Saved Searches make tasks with a start date of today stand out by being the only tasks showing. They stand out even better that way when in a list of all kinds of other tasks.

What Darren is referring to is a specific recommendation by Michael Linenberger. One of the Outlook settings he teaches is to make tasks with a start date of today display in a bold font alongside all of your other tasks.

For those of us who can't/don't want to use Outlook, most of the recommended settings can be reproduced in Toodledo with the exceptions of the start date default, and how those tasks are displayed in the lists.
Kevin V.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013
This would be very helpful, please add this feature.
Wayne T.

Posted: Nov 20, 2013
Posted by Jake:
Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into it.

I would be happy to assist in Beta Testing this if that would be helpful.
Purveyor

About two years ago, I purchased and read Linenberger's books. I don't recall anything about setting the Start Date to yesterday. Did I miss it, or is this something new?
Wayne T.

Posted by Purveyor:
About two years ago, I purchased and read Linenberger's books. I don't recall anything about setting the Start Date to yesterday. Did I miss it, or is this something new?

I have the 2nd Edition of the book: Total Workday Control, first printed in 2008. Of course most of the book is detailed instructions for setting up Outlook, but the principles can be applied to Toodledo.

In Michael's system, all tasks have a start date. On pages 73-75 he talks about what he calls FRESH Prioritization. Tasks with a future start date are hidden until the day arrives. Tasks are sorted in reverse start date order, so newer tasks are at the top and they move down as they age.

Pages 193-194 describe the Target-Now list. These are noncritical tasks that you would like to target for today. Their start date is set for today. Each morning, tasks can be re-prioritized to be part of this list by setting the start date to today.

Michael writes, "do you really want to target [tasks] for today? If not, set the date for...yesterday, which places it lower in the Opportunity-Now list." This puts new tasks in the ideal position: near the top of the list to keep the FRESH prioritization, but just below and not included in the tasks that were marked to be part of the Target-Now list with a start date of today. Having this automated, in Outlook or Toodledo, means tasks don't get missed having a start date.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2013.
quinn perez

Posted: Jan 29, 2014
Please add this it will be very helpful in being able to accomplish my tasks and goals.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2014.
mike

Posted: Feb 05, 2014
Score: 2 Reference
Hi there, this is Michael Linenberger, and I'll weigh in on this. I agree, it'd be a good feature for supporting MYN in Toodledo, so I endorse this feature request.
rozanholbrook

Posted: Feb 13, 2014
Without committing to a time frame would you comment on the relative priority of this for development?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 13, 2014
Medium priority
Wayne T.

Posted: Apr 08, 2014
Michael Linenberger announced on his blog a new online software that may work as an alternative to Toodledo. Since 2011 Toodledo has been Michael's only recommendation with Microsoft Outlook. If this new software provides better features for implementing Master Your Workday Now, Toodledo could lose users that are more committed to Michael's productivity system than the tool they use to implement it.
CharleneTX

Posted: Apr 08, 2014
It is indeed another online alternative, but it's also online-only. No offline access, no mobile.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.