ForumsQuestionsImproving Motivation, Commitment, Desire!

Improving Motivation, Commitment, Desire!
Sasha B. Pushkin

Posted: Nov 25, 2013
Score: 2 Reference
Hi again,

I'd like to propose a drastic idea: a gray list of tasks is not motivating, period. I've added my 100+ to-dos, desires, and goals, and it's just overwhelming. It's like Excel with many rows of items, and I'm actually LOSING motivation and commitment to go and do anything.

Can we add some color, attach icons, and just somehow make the process of DOING these tasks more exciting? Even this forum looks more graphical and exciting than my tasks. :-)

Thank you.
Jason Bushell

Posted: Nov 26, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
Is a few little icons, and some colored text really going to motivate you?

Just get on with your tasks!!! How about that for motivation?!
Salgud

Posted by Sasha B. Pushkin:
Hi again,

I'd like to propose a drastic idea: a gray list of tasks is not motivating, period. I've added my 100+ to-dos, desires, and goals, and it's just overwhelming. It's like Excel with many rows of items, and I'm actually LOSING motivation and commitment to go and do anything.

Can we add some color, attach icons, and just somehow make the process of DOING these tasks more exciting? Even this forum looks more graphical and exciting than my tasks. :-)

Thank you.

Sasha, I understand the issue you've presented. However, it seems to me that making cosmetic improvements to TD would be a very short-term answer. While it might encourage me to work harder for a week or so, very soon, it would be the same old colorful list with which I struggle daily. Beyond that, as much controversy as there has been in these forums over the formatting and colors of this and the iOS apps, I doubt you'd ever convince Jake to venture onto this thin ice again!

I suggest that you consider better filtering as a means to reduce that list to something far more doable, and less daunting. E.g., every Monday when I do my Weekly Review and select the tasks that I'd like to do that week, I usually end up with way more Next Actions that I can get done in that time, much less than a day. When this happens, I then filter the list by Starring down to 5 items. I do them, as far along as I can with each, prioritizing based on urgency, importance, and keeping my boss happy (numero uno siempre!). After they are done, or can't be moved forward, I de-Star them, give them a Waiting or Hold status, and Star 5 more, keeping it in bite-size chunks.

If you look through these forums, particularly the Time Management forum, you'll find numerous other suggestions to help with this problem. There are a lot of ways to accomplish this without starting a light-green-is-better-than-dark-green war in these forums yet again!

This message was edited Nov 26, 2013.
Sabina A.

This may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GyVnsduZ6o&feature=youtu.be

This message was edited Nov 26, 2013.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.