ForumsQuestionsPublishing only a subset of tasks to a calendar?

Publishing only a subset of tasks to a calendar?
gretchen

Posted: Apr 19, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'm using Google calendar because it syncs nicely to the iTouch. I'm finding that I have to maintain some events in two places: Toodledo and Google calendar.

My calendar is public so that other people can see what times I have scheduled.

I'd like to publish only *some* of my tasks to my calendar, not all of my tasks -- just those that are relevant for scheduling with others. Some way to mark tasks as public and then synchronize only those to the calendar would be great. Ideally I'd like to be able to manage my calendar entirely from Toodledo, so I'd also want to be able to set at least a default alert setting, if not individually by task.

If Toodledo's internal calendar could support this, be publishable, and synchronize somehow to the iPhone, then that would also work.
Anders

Posted: Apr 19, 2009
I also think a customizable iCal subscription would be pretty cool, maybe by folder. Has anyone used the iCal subscription with a mix of private and public folders? I would assume they all come through the same, but I have not tried it. One thing you can do, and I know it is not ideal, is make your actual Toodledo calendar on google private, but then copy the tasks you want to be seen onto another calendar. If you click on the event it will give you that option.

I am not sure if this is what you meant or not, but you can set default reminders for your Toodledo calendar on Google calendar by clicking on the little arrow next to the calendar name, and choosing notifications.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 20, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
gretchen

Posted: Apr 20, 2009
Anders, my ideal would be if I could set everything about an task, including notifications, using only toodledo, and then be able to publish a subset of tasks to either Toodledo's own calendar function or perhaps to Google's using iCal sync. That way I could use toodledo solely to manage all of my time-crucial events, without having to fuss with a calendar program. I know notifications are somewhat outside of the basic scope of a task manager, though; it just feels like a natural integration to me because calendar items are really just tasks that have to be done at a specific time.

An example might be a task list that looks like:

private: doctor's appointment 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm April 21
public: Party 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm April 21
private: floss the dog after April 20

I'd want the first task to show up on my public calendar, and I'd want my calendar software to pop up a notification prior to the event. Right now I can do this, but I have to maintain two apps. If I want to be able to track it as a task (and I'm trying to incorporate everything into toodledo so I can keep a record of what I've done), then I need to add the same task to both my Google calendar and my toodledo. I can't just sync toodledo to iCal because I don't want all of my "floss the dog" style tasks to show up on my public calendar, and I'd still have to manually edit to get alerts set up the way I want them.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.