ForumsQuestionsif we didnt fill in a field for a task - dont show it

if we didnt fill in a field for a task - dont show it
david.esposito1

Posted: Apr 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
dont show us more information about a task than we have entered...it clutters up the interface to much.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
frossie

Do you mean like showing "No date" when there is no date selected?

The thing to realise is that the "No date" is essentially a placeholder - clicking on it allows you to set a date after the fact. I use this functionality very often, and it is one of the nice things about the interface, that you are only one click away from adding or changing any property of the task. I would be very disapointed if that were to change.

I find the faint grey font works well in allowing you to mentally tune out unset fields. Otherwise you are only going to end up with some other kind of placeholder anyway.
Anders

I don't see how this could even work in grid view, but maybe multiline. I have to believe that if this were implemented it would be an option, not a replacement. I agree with frossie, and like to have the fields right there. Of course I can understand the desire to conserve space as well. I use grid view, and just move all the fields that I ever really need to see to the left, and I have the fields I don't need to look at or use infrequently to the right, offscreen.
Proximo

Posted: Apr 21, 2009
I feel the same as frossie and Anders. Seems this would complicate the process of adding information to your task when you are ready to do so.

I also don't see how it would work with the Grid mode.
thpope

Posted: Apr 21, 2009
I would like to have a combination grid and multi-line mode. Where I specify what fields I want to see when the details are collapsed and then show every field I use when I expand. For example, I want to show status, due date, priority, and context when collapsed on one line, then expand to show folder, tags, goal, start date, repeat, length, timer, date completed, and note.

A two-line option would be nice.

Also, you guys going come out with an offline version? I don't know if google gears is the best way to go, or a java based solution, but I should would like the option. (Sorry, I just saw this as #4 for top feature requests.)

Thanks,
Thomas

This message was edited Apr 21, 2009.
saskia.x

Posted: Apr 23, 2009
I'm not sure I'd want to hide the fields I'm not using in each task; as the others said it's useful to have access to these fields in case you decide to fill them in.

However, I do like Thomas's idea of a kind of "hybrid" view half way between grid & multi-line; I'd been thinking about something similar myself. I normally use multi-line, but I wish I could see just a few more details by default so I don't have to keep toogling the details on and off. Quite a lot of my tasks have longish notes so I don't want to have details toggled on all the time, plus I like each task being on one line since it makes it easier to skim down the list. However I need to have details toggled on more often than I'd like in order to see their attributes, so if there was a way to show my most commonly used fields on the same line as the task name that would be the ideal solution.
saskia.x

Posted: Apr 23, 2009
Re: offline support

I know that Gears support is planned, but apparently it's pretty complicated to implement due to the underlying architecture of Toodledo, and would require quite a major rewrite to make it work. So don't expect to see it any time very soon, but hopefully it will happen at some point in the not too distant future!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.