ForumsQuestionswhy lock old topics?

why lock old topics?
ykphuah

Posted: Feb 25, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
Not a question for tasks management but more for this forum.

Can I know the reason why old topics are locked? This is the first forum that I have participated that behaved as such. There's so many pages, hence usually I will just use the search function (which serious needs a list by topics instead of by posts), then after I found the posts about what I wanted to ask, they are all locked. So being lazy to search for a recent thread that is not locked, I just create a new topic, which I feel causes even more topics.
Jason Bushell

To stop people bumping old requests that have already been logged.
Purveyor

What is the problem with people bumping old requests that have already been logged?

As yjphauh points out, the alternative is to create a new topic that addresses an old request.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2014.
Jason Bushell

You tell me...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Topics are locked after the last comment is a certain age. We don't lock topics that are in active discussion. We lock old topics to prevent old content from being bumped to the front page which can cause annoyance and can cause confusion and off topic threads. We much prefer to have shorter on-topic discussions and it's perfectly ok to make a new thread of conversation for an old issue if you want.
ykphuah

So you guys actually prefer having a lot of new threads that refer to old threads. I find this slightly strange though. I always thought its good to keep everything in one thread, for much easier reference.

I asked because it felt like a strange flow. Firstly, I tried to search whether I can hide tasks that are due today but at a later time. So I used the search function, so there'a lot of pages and a lot of threads. So I click thru them, read thru them, and there's no conclusion, in each of the threads. So then I need to create a new thread. I assume another person coming in to look for this in the future, will have more threads to look through instead of only one.

Secondly, I tried to see how people do weekly reviews, same case. I searched, and all the tips thread are actually locked, so I can't actually reply and hope to get replies from the original tip giver, again there's too many threads to go through.

So I guess after a while, the search function will be more and more useless when this forum's age is getting older.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2014.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If people kept single threads of conversation in one topic, then what you are proposing is great and would be the best way to do it. In practice, people are not as diligent as you or I might be in maintaining topic focus, and what you end up with is long meandering conversations that jump from topic to topic and are even more difficult to search and follow.

I have 14+ years as a moderators and administrator of online forums so I have experienced this topic drift first hand. The best practical solution that I have devised is to keep topics short and focused by locking them when they become inactive. I've actually put a lot of thought into it.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.