ForumsQuestionsConfusion on filters on Web vs iSO app

Confusion on filters on Web vs iSO app
jonastidstrom

Posted: Oct 06, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
On the web interface the filters are choosen individually for different vies of the todo-list, i.e., "Main", "Folder", "Goal".

On the iOS app the filters are choosen globally.

In other words, if I choose to show context "PHONE" while in the "Hotlist", this chosen context will only be shown across the "Main" view, on the web. By clicking, say, the "Folders" view, the filter is still choosen to be, say, "WORK" (from an earlier choice).

On the iOS app, "PHONE" will be across all views of the todo-lists.

While the global approach on the iOS app is more intuitive and easier to adopt, the the web based filtering approach is more powerful (if you know what you are doing). I think this is rather confusing!

Anyway, it would be convenient if one could choose one way or the other of filtering approach. Perhaps even better if the iOS app could inherits the web choice.

Have I missed this option? Or can I work around it? Or do I have to just live with it?

Thanks
Jonas
Salgud

Strange, but I'm not finding this to be true. When I set a filter in any view in the web app, that filter is applied universally to all views. I tried this with 3 different filter settings, the inline vs. indented filter for subtasks, I tried it with filtering on a single context, and I tried it with filtering on a tag. In all cases, after I changed the filter, when I changed views, the filter remained the same.

I didn't try it with the iOS version, as I'm pretty sure it's the same.

In my tests, the Sort order changes with views, but not the filters.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
On the website, filters are on a per-view basis. In the iOS app filters are global. This is something we plan to address in a future update.
Salgud

Posted by Jake:
On the website, filters are on a per-view basis. In the iOS app filters are global. This is something we plan to address in a future update.

In that case, Jake, something is very wrong with my website, or my eyes. I turned on the filter for a rarely used Tag, Clearance, and most all my views showed no tasks, except for my "Active" view, which showed only one task, the only one I have currently with this tag. Then I turned off the filter for this tag, and all my views are back with the usual, expected list of tasks. Do I need to submit a trouble ticket?
jonastidstrom

As Jake says, filters are per view basis on the website (I had to verify it once more) - really quite confusing in the beginning. I am trying to convince my wife to use Toodledo, and I can tell you it is not going well.

Filters and sorting ought to be global by default and optionally per-view. That would be good for beginners!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.