ForumsQuestionsSort By List Bug

Sort By List Bug
GSP1963

Posted: Oct 31, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
I make a lot of use of the relatively-new Sort By List feature. Has anyone else noticed that the feature is buggy? Is this a known issue that's being worked on?

Specifically, what I'm seeing is this: When I'm working with my saved searches (I have about a dozen of them, which I use heavily), if I set the Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary sort criteria they will be applied correctly for a while--say, for the next ten or twenty uses of the search. Then, usually within ten or fifteen minutes, the search criteria get mixed up and are applied incorrectly. Usually what happens is the same incorrect criteria are applied to every one of the searches, regardless of how the criteria were set last.

The Sort By List option is one of the best enhancements to Toodledo I've seen in a long time and, when it works, it's wonderful. When it fails, it's a real nuisance because I have to manually reset all of the sort criteria for every one of my dozen searches--that's a total of 36 sort criteria. Naturally, I'm very eager for this particular bug to be squished.

Thanks!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2014.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 31, 2014
We haven't noticed this bug before. I will investigate. If it happens again, can you try reloading the page and see if that makes any difference? Which web browser are you using?
GSP1963

Posted: Nov 01, 2014
It happens all the time, although it takes awhile to get it to happen. I just now did some testing and it took me five minutes of clicking on my searches to get it to recur. I've tested for the error on both Google Chrome (which is my regular browser) and Internet Explorer and it occurs with both browsers.

I tried reloading the pages in both browsers, and that didn't affect anything one way or the other.

With both browsers, it seemed that all of my searches' sort criteria were being set (erroneously) to (1) Priority, (2) Star, (3) Alpha. But with a few more minutes of executing the searches, now they're all being set to (1) Priority, (2) Auto, (3) Auto.

Weird, I know. I've worked in the past as a software systems tester and I can't determine any logic to what's going on. The best I can tell you is that it happens in both browsers and it doesn't occur for the first 10 or 20 uses of the search. But somewhere between 10 and 20 executions after the criteria have been set--about 5 minutes later or so--the sort criteria get muddled and it's usually to (1) Priority, (2) Star, and (3) Alpha. That erroneous setting then gets propagated to the other searches as well so that they're all sorting incorrectly the same way. With more use--about another five minutes of clicking--they then change to another set of erroneous sort criteria.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to provide whatever info I can.

Thanks.
GSP1963

Posted: Nov 01, 2014
One other thing it occurs to me to mention: I'm seeing this bug only with my 12 more complicated searches--that is, searches with five or more criteria, which I use heavily. I also have five very basic searches (which I use to bring up my five GTD folders) with one or two criteria ("Folder is Inbox," for example); the sort criteria for those very simple searches do not seem to get corrupted. That may be because the search criteria are very simple--or it may be because the sort criteria for those simple searches is also very simple (either Auto/Auto/Auto or Priority/Auto/Auto for 1st/2nd/3rd sorts).

I'm hoping this clue will help you figure out what's going on.

Thanks again for your efforts.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 04, 2014
We will look into this and see if we can reproduce the issue.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.