ForumsQuestionsContexts

Contexts
marwi

Posted: Dec 09, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
Hi
I'm trying to use @context and so far I have @home, @office, @out.
I need to go to the dentist, of course this would be on @out list, but I will forget to leave my office on time, as I'm just looking @office tasks there!

Of course, I could show @office and @out at the same time, but in this case I would also see all the errands and other things on my lists, which I can not do as long as I'm in the office, so this would fail the idea of context lists.

How do you do that? Any help?

kind regards
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 09, 2014
Sounds like you need to set an alarm on the dentist task so you will get a reminder to leave on time even if you aren't looking at the "@out" list.
marwi

Posted: Dec 12, 2014
Hi Jake, yes, this is a good idea!

I also had the idea to use "Tags" instead of "Contexts", because you can assign multiple Tags to one task. So I could add @office and @out to the dentist task.

As I'm not using Tags so far, do you see any downside by using Tags vs. Contexts?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
No. They should function the same pretty much.
Dave

I would set an alarm and just doing a quick review in the morning of tasks due today. Otherwise it is easy to go overboard on tags and you will WAY overcomplicate your system. In a way you really don't need a context for this item since it is a one time event at a specific time. It is more of something that would go on your calendar vs a task. If you don't use a calendar for events, then do what I said before.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 15, 2014
Posted by marwi:
Hi Jake, yes, this is a good idea!

I also had the idea to use "Tags" instead of "Contexts", because you can assign multiple Tags to one task. So I could add @office and @out to the dentist task.

As I'm not using Tags so far, do you see any downside by using Tags vs. Contexts?

I see quite a difference between taqs and contexts in that tags are severely limited in this implementation in two ways. First, if I want to add a tag to many tasks, I can multi-edit and add them AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO OTHER TAGS ON THOSE TASKS that I wish to retain. IOW, if I have a task with an @Office tag, and with to add an @Dog tag, if I do it with multi-edit, it will erase the @Office tag and replace it with @Dog. The only way I can add a tag to a task that already has a tag is one task at a time.

The other major limitation is that if you sort by tags, tasks with multiple tags will appear as a unique, separate group, and not under the individual tags listed. E.g., my task with tags @Office and @Dog will appear in the sort under "@Office,@Dog" and not under either @Office or @Dog.

These serious limitations make this weak implementation of tags about 20% as useful as would be if you could multi-edit ADDING tags to existing ones and be able to have sorting recognize them individually.

By the way, this is a long requested fix, and has been on "the list" since before I started using TD 4.5 years ago.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.