ForumsQuestionsCompleted recurring future task. Not!

Completed recurring future task. Not!
natgross

Posted: Jan 25, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Short story:
Task recurs daily. Due tomorrow.
Today I checked it off as completed.

Toodledo insists that it is still due tomorrow! Tried it on many recurring daily tasks.
Can't I check off a future recurring task as done??? (Regardless if set to recur from completion or task date, this should never happen.)

nat
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 26, 2015
If you have a daily repeating task that is set to repeat from the "completion date" then it will always go to tomorrow when you check it off, regardless of it's actual due-date. This is because on day from the completion date (today) is always tomorrow.

If you have it set to repeat from the "due-date" then it will keep moving forward one day at a time. So checking off a daily task due tomorrow will cause it to go to 2 days from now.
natgross

Posted: Jan 26, 2015
With all due respect, a [slight] flaw in the logic here. As follows.
Why do we need the completion date versus due date in the first place? Because, certain tasks need to be done x number of times per time period regardless of when completed (eg. read Toodledo forums 20 minutes each day), while others simply need to be done in a certain time frame repeatedly (eg mow the lawn every Tuesday), and if missed, as long as it gets done later, it's done!
So, if I missed reading TD forums for two days, I still need to make up for it on the third and have three tasks.
But if I didn't mow the lawn in a given week, I don't have to mow it twice the following week! Once ticked off [albeit late], it's done.
So far so good, if I complete the task late, we have two categories.

Now, same tasks, but I am a good boy and really in the mood of completing many tasks AHEAD of its time.
In the case of reading 20 minutes a day, I read 60 minutes today for the next 3 days; every time I ticked off the task I had the pleasure of seeing the due date pushed off another day, since it recurs based on due date.
But wait, I also decided to mow the lawn today Monday (I mean shovel the snow:) instead of Tuesday, a day early. TD insists I need to mow it again tomorrow! And of course it needs to be based on completion date, for the scenarios where I missed it a week and am late.

So the gist of it is, that it ain't cut and dry (the grass) and Toodledo needs to also differentiate if a task is completed late or in the future.

Although your developers might find it rather simple to implement this (based on the smarts in this program), explaining the options in the UI to all users might sound more complex than it really is. And might burden the users with too many options on the tasks.
Therefore, how about a real simple way to implement this. Allow ticking off a task with a ctrl-click combination as well. If a user ctrl-clicks a task to key it off, it means that Toodledo should deviate from the normal recurring algorithm for that task, and either automatically use the alternate recurring scheme, or allow the user the choice as how to recur that particular task instance.

My $0.02.
nat
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 27, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion.

The "from completion" option was added for people who have daily tasks that are overdue. For example "stretch every day". If I don't stretch for a few days, the task becomes overdue. If I finally check it off, I don't really want it to move forwards 1 day and still be overdue. I want it to go to tomorrow. This sort of breaks down if you try to do stuff early before it's due. You could make the argument that a future task that is done early should move forwards regardless. I'll have to think about this.
natgross

Posted: Jan 27, 2015
Exactly.

Thanks
nat
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.