ForumsQuestionsOutlook reminders on Iphone in Toodledo?

Outlook reminders on Iphone in Toodledo?
jimmy

Posted: May 21, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
i understand from all my reading that Toodledo is a task orientated app for the Iphone. does this also handle Outlook reminders differently than the Iphone does standard? right now a reminder comes up on the Iphone fine, and makes one audio sound. but once you wake up the Iphone that, or those, reminders are gone forever. if you happen to zip past them unknowingly, they are gone for good. I was thinking of something like the way Palm OS handled reminders. it would beep, but then you had to acknowledge it before it went away permenantly, similar to the desktop version of Outlook. hope this makes sense. thank you for any input.
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Toodledo is much more than a task app for the iPhone. This website is the main attraction, and the awesome iPhone app is just one of the many great ways of accessing Toodledo tasks: http://www.toodledo.com/connections.php

Because Apple does not allow third party apps like Toodledo to run in the background on the iPhone, it cannot use the popup reminders at all. Toodledo can send reminders as SMS or as email: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_remind.php

I'm sure when Apple starts to allow reminders, which I believe will be this summer with OS 3.0, then Toodledo will probably add some way to take advantage of the iPhone popups. At least I hope they will.

Anyway, SMS might be the way to go. I have an iPod so have not used that, but I believe they behave more like you want. Apple controls how those pop up reminders behave, so even if Toodledo could send them, they would probably do the same thing they do now.

This message was edited May 21, 2009.
jimmy

thanks for the reply. can toodledo also send email reminders from actual outlook calendar event reminders? or just from outlook tasks?
thanks again
Anders

I haven't used Outlook in a while, but if the event doesn't sync to toodledo as a task, it won't be able to generate a reminder. Two possible solutions:
-I believe Outlook has some way to easily make an event show as a task, maybe drag and drop even, and that should work for a reminder as long as it shows up on Toodledo as a task.
-You could sync to Google Calendar. There are a variety of sync services, some free, that can do this. Then you could set reminders on Google calendar where there are a variety of reminder options.
Anders

By the way, just to be clear, Toodledo won't care about which tasks you have set reminders for in Outlook. If you activate reminders you will get reminders for any and all tasks that have a due date and a due time. More options for reminders is a popular request here.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Toodledo doesn't work directly with Outlook. There is a free third-party app that handles that, so you might want to contact the developer to see what the capabilities are related to alarms and reminders.

http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/software/ToodledoSyncInfo.aspx
jimmy

Posted: Jun 10, 2009
now that the 3.0 is coming out on the iphone, does this effect/change anything from my original question at the very top? specifically reminders not vanishing forever after waking up the iphone.
thanks for any input/info.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 10, 2009
We'll just have to wait and see what it looks like when 3.0 comes out ;)
rashidsohail

Posted: Aug 12, 2009
3.0 has been out for sometime now, can Toodledo please implement pop-up reminders as this is a vital part of a task application. Many of my tasks need to be started on a specific time and generally I pay less attention to my emails then I do to the front screen on my iPhone. In other words a pop-up reminder is in your face visisble rather then a task email hidden between numerous other emails on my iphone.

thanks
Anders

Posted: Aug 12, 2009
The Toodledo app has had Push Notification for the past three or four versions. See this help topic for instructions on setting it up: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=85
jimmy

Posted: Aug 25, 2009
Will these push notifications stay on top now? or do they still vanish forever if a phone call, or something else comes in?
Thanks.
Anders

Posted: Aug 25, 2009
The Apple Push notifications are, in my experience, slightly better than the regular notifications like those from the built in calendar. The Push notifications do not disappear quite as easily, but they can still be missed. The Push reminders for Toodeldo include boxes you can tap to either dismiss the alert or go to the task in the Toodledo app. I have an iPod Touch, so I can't tell you what happens if you get a phone call, etc., but in general, they are a bit more persistent than the typical iPhone reminders, but still show Apple's tragic inability to understand productivity related stuff like reminders, tasks, and calendars.

BTW, I wanted to add, that for this reason, I always have an email reminder sent as well. That way if I miss something, I have a place I can go to check all my reminders. This also helps because sometimes I am busy when I get the reminder, and would want to snooze it, but since that is not an option with the iPhone, I just make a note (mental or physical) to check my email when I get a free moment.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2009.
norskbob

Posted: Dec 02, 2009
The help page says the reminders will be sent from toodledo.com to my iPhone. I have a poor signal in my office area. If a reminder is sent from toodledo.com when I don't have a signal, will I receive it later when the signal is better, or will it get lost?

Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 03, 2009
It is unclear about what will happen when you dont have a signal. Apple is responsible for delivery of the reminders, and they don't specify what will happen. My best guess based on some experimentation is that Apple will attempt to re-deliver the reminder for a period of time, but will stop trying if it still can't connect to your iPhone. I haven't been able to figure out the exact amount of time that Apple will attempt re-delivery, but I think it is about 1 hour.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.