ForumsQuestionsToodledo Structure for personal vs. work

Toodledo Structure for personal vs. work
Ann M

Posted: Apr 20, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I have been using this product for years, but lately I am finding that the structure I have created to manage my work is more complex than what I need in my personal life. As a result I find that I am constantly tweaking my "system" to make it work for both and as a result it's less than optimal. An when I do quick search on a key work I might get things that flow from both work and personal even though I am only looking one of those two areas. I use separate folders to help manage this, but it's not enough any more. I utilized the search queries to filter out what I need so that works most of the time, but I would like to have a more definitive line between the two.

I can't figure out a way to make that separation without probably having two toodledo accounts. Money aside, the idea of logging into and keeping track of two accounts does't thrill me. I suppose I could use another product for my personal life, but I am not willing to try that because toodledo can be very simple as well. I am curious if others have run into this and how they might have managed this.

For Jake and Staff: If I were to have two subscriptions how would I be able to tell the difference between the iPhone Apps buttons?

This message was edited Apr 20, 2015.
Sabina A.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015
Hello,

The best way to separate work and personal items is by using the context and tag fields with filters. Here is some more information:

Context: https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php#9

Tags: https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php#8

Filters: https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php#65

Using two account with our iOS app is more difficult because you will have to switch between logins on a daily basis and then delete data to be able to sync with your second account.

Hope this helps.
Michael_49

Posted: Apr 21, 2015
Hi acc.mcpherson,
I keep WORK and HOME totally separated. I have two folders and work in each one separately. Two move one to the other, I just change the folder field.

In each folder, I have some Main parent tasks that look like this:

>>>>>>>>>>>>TODAY<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Task 1
Task 2

>>>>>>>>>>>WEEK<<<<<<<<<
Task 3
Task 4

Then I have subtasks that fall below each main task. The reason is I can "click and drag" subtasks from one task to the other. (Dragging functionality is something I wish was more prevalent in Toodledo.)
Ann M

Thanks Sabina and Michael. I kept work and home separate too using folders, but it wasn't working for me because a search and my saved search queries would pull from both folders (which I use most of time) unless I specifically changed the search criteria which is a drag given how often I use the search functions.

Sabina's suggestion is great. I used filters years ago and had forgot how powerful this feature really is. The only problem is that I used to use the context field as my status because I don't like how Toodledo gives you so many choices for status. I prefer to create my own and hopefully that will change sometime in the future. In the meantime I am using the status field and the context for personal and have incorporated the filter function in all views. I think it will be the solution... for now. Thanks very much. Ann
Dave

Ann why do you just change your saved searches to exclude the folders you don't want showing up? Then label the searches "-work" or "-personal" so you can tell the difference.
Ann M

Hi Dave, I did do that with my saved searches. But I am talking about whenever I do an adhoc search - which I do several times a day when I am looking for a particular item. When doing an adhoc search you have to always state the the exclusion unless you use filters and the filters don't apply to folders, just to context and tags.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.