ForumsQuestionsiPhone app, synching, too many tasks, and speed

iPhone app, synching, too many tasks, and speed
M

Posted: Jun 06, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Back in 2013, someone complained about a slow-down in sync (synch?) speed on the iPhone app. They said they had lots of tasks, and I believe Jake responded that many saved searches could affect the app speed, as well.

Well, I may be the winner of the "too damned many tasks" award but, until I figure out a way to clean them out while satisfying my OCD tendencies, I need to know if this problem was ever solved. Jake, I believe you asked for specifics, in a "trouble ticket," of number of tasks, and sync settings.

Is this still something that I can get help with?

Opening the app, moving through my tasks, jumping to another app and back again -- all really really slow, to the point where I'm looking for other ways to keep track of what I need to be doing.

I have DEFERRED many many of my tasks -- so that I don't see them -- but I think they still sync, so that's not really helping. Can we choose to NOT sync deferred tasks?

Oh -- and if anyone has advice for "archiving" my "someday" tasks (but being able to bring them back in with their ACTUAL created/modified dates) -- I'd love to hear it.

This message was edited Jun 06, 2015.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 08, 2015
A few iOS updates back we greatly increased the speed of syncing, but if you have many thousands of tasks, it can still be a little slow to load that list. How many tasks do you have? What iOS device are you running on?
M

Posted: Jun 08, 2015
I have 1200 total tasks (trying to clean those up), on iPhone 4s.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 09, 2015
That could be a bit slow on older hardware if you are trying to look at all tasks. Try organizing your tasks into folders or smaller lists.

This message was edited Jun 09, 2015.
M

I don't generally look at all tasks. I mostly use saved searches, but even looking at a small subset is slow. I read something in that older post about saved searches causing the slow-down, so I've recently eliminated quite a few of mine.

>>Try organizing your tasks into folders or smaller lists.
What is a "smaller list?"

I have been trying to figure out how to "hide" (i.e., NOT sync) the items that I currently have with deferred statuses, but it doesn't seem that I can do this. I could export them to CSV and import them when I'm ready for them -- but that changes the create and modified dates, and I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Also - it does seem that since a few versions ago, it syncs with every possible movement. If I am in TD on the phone and viewing a search result, then briefly flip away to another app and back again -- it will re-sync, and slow me down. I have background refresh enabled, and sync on start/quit/edit turned ON.

If I can find a way to eliminate a large subset of my tasks from synching, I'd love to do it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You could try turning off the "sync on start" option and just sync manually from the settings section.

A "smaller list" would be a few hundred items. On newer phones it shouldn't be a problem, but the 4s is quite old in technological terms so its going to be slower.
M

Posted: Jun 10, 2015
Any suggestions, though, for techniques to prevent sync of all my tasks? To just sync non-deferred, perhaps?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 10, 2015
It is not possible to only sync some tasks. Sorry
M

Posted: Jun 11, 2015
Can you consider this a "feature request:" make it an option on either folders or statuses to EXCLUDE them from sync. This would mean not only that they would not be propagated from the website/database to the mobile device but, also, that they would not move to the database (and, so, would be lost) if entered using those excluded categories on the mobile device. Ideally, the folder/status wouldn't be seen AT ALL on the mobile device if this option was on, so that would not ever happen.

Just an idea.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks
gnovelty

Posted: Jul 22, 2015
I am also experiencing significant problems with slow sync, on iPhone 5 with iOS 8.4. It typically takes over 10 minutes. I have less than 500 tasks, and only 3 saved searches. Quite a few active folders, but I don't see why that should make any difference. The iPad app seems to sync much more quickly (iPad Air). To be honest, I'm starting to look at alternatives because the iPhone app is currently almost unusable. I believe the sync algorithm is inadequate. Hoping to hear some good news from the developers about proposed improvements.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 22, 2015
Are you using manual sync or auto sync? Or are you using the "force sync" buttons inside the account info section?

If you could create a support ticket and send us a sync log from within the app's settings file, we'll be able to see why your sync is taking a long time.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.