ForumsQuestionsTag Folder

Tag Folder
Highsteppin

Posted: Sep 19, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I create multiple folders for each area of my life to help breakdown tasks types (ie Administration, Production, Marketing for 2 different businesses plus personal/household stuff). I like to work on just one area at time so I create a TAG for each task so that I can search by life area and only display the area I am currently working on. It would be much easier for me if I could assign a TAG to the folder itself so that I don't have assign a TAG each time I create a task. Is this available or if not would you considering adding it?

Thank much,

Ron
pawelkaleta

Posted: Sep 19, 2015
Can't you just go into given folder and create tasks while you are inside without necessity to use additional parameter like Tag etc.?

This message was edited Sep 19, 2015.
Highsteppin

Posted: Sep 20, 2015
The reason I use the extra parameter is so I can use the search feature to only see the "area" that I want to work on. I have 3 different areas 1. My Business 2. My rental properties and 3. Personal. So have set up a tag for each (Business Name, Rentals, Personal). So each task gets tagged with one of the 3. Then I can search for "Business Name" so that I only see the tasks that relate to my business, etc. This obviously creates more steps each time I set up a task. It would be much easy if I could tag the folder with the appropriate type and then just search on the folder tag (type) to isolate the area that I want to view.
Salgud

Posted: Sep 21, 2015
I'm confused. Why not use the Search to find the appropriate folder, rather than the Tag? Would save a lot of work.
Highsteppin

Posted: Sep 21, 2015
Note in my original post I said folders, not folder. There is no way, that I know of, to search for a group of folders that relate to one business without using a common tag.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2015.
coolexplorer

Posted: Sep 22, 2015
Just to clarify. What I think you want are 3 or 4 separate work-spaces like Business, Private, Household, etc where at a time you can see only the related Folders, Sub-Folders and Tasks without being distracted by other non-related Folders and Tasks.

Currently TD does not allow you to hide selected Folders, nor can you make Sub-folders.

As a work-around you could create a set of Custom Search Views which would show only the Tasks in the group of Folders selected by you. Tags or some other field would have to currently suffice to achieve a kind of sub-folder aggregation, which would be shown separated by dividers (only if you primary sort is on that field).
Another option : If the number of potential Tasks that you would assign to a sub-folder is limited, you could mimic the sub-folder as a Task (mark it with a star or other symbol) and use the sub-tasks feature.

(I for one do not need Location based reminders, so I have reassigned that field for Contextual filtering/sorting). I use the + sign before the title of my major Projects so that I can clearly see which are the Projects.

Would be great if TD allowed a user defined field for filtering/sorting, and a + icon for Parent tasks and - icon for Child tasks.

A bit long-winded explanation, but I hope it helps. Cheers!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 22, 2015
I second what coolexplorer said. I think using some saved searches that search for the group of folders (Folder A or Folder B or Folder C) would work. You can also try using contexts and the context filter if you aren't already using contexts for something else.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.