ForumsQuestionsFeature Idea: autohide the left sidebar

Feature Idea: autohide the left sidebar
Michael

Posted: Jun 08, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Ok, currently the left sidebar has an option to be either be shown or hidden. Hiding it is a big screen real estate savings, but when you need something from it you have to open it, pick something, close it. I was wondering if it would be worth while to add a third state of "auto-hide". So that it is hidden, but if you point a mouse over the part of it that is shown, it re-appears auto-magically and on mouse-out it goes back into the hidden mode.

What does everyone think? I'd love this, but does anyone else thinks its worth it?

-M
Claudio

I like the idea but would prefer having the "View by" menus (Main, Folder, Context, Goal, Due-Date, Priority, Tag, Status, Sharing, Search) at the left instead of at the top of screen. So, the current left menu (or parts of the menu) would be at the top.
lite1

Good suggestion IMO. I typically have side bar closed as I want the screen real estate available. Autohide would suit my needs, but more key board shortcuts especially if they are easier for TD to implement is actually my preference.
Somewhat related to the OP suggestion would be to allow for a freeze panes view like is possible say in Excel. Currently if I have to scroll through a long list of tasks, then the various Menu and Option choices at top of screen are out of sight. Some of these do not have keyboard shortcuts and hence I loose time switching from keyboard to mouse and then back again to accomplish what I want. For me one of the greatest time savers and improvements that TD can make is to speed up the process for what most users do the most frequently and I'd expect that this is either adding or editing tasks/subtasks followed by viewing what they have.
Edward
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
I would probably would not use auto-hide, but I have always wondered why the icons on the sidebar could not remain there when it is collapsed. There is plenty of room, and it would allow for use of the different features with the sidebar closed.

~Anders
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
Vin Thomas

I am with lite1, more keyboard shortcuts if anything. I am a keyboard shortcutaholic.
Linden

I have no problem with an auto-hide feature if it could be implemented with a thumbtack system, so I can have it stick if I want it there.

I also really like Anders' idea, since I use the sidebar a lot. Showing the icons when it's collapsed is classy way of saving screen space while keeping the main functions available.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.