ForumsQuestionsOptional Due Date behavior

Optional Due Date behavior
toddr_r

Posted: Oct 06, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I'm using Toodledo Priacta/GTD style as background. During my setup of Toodledo, in the videos I noticed an selector for task due dates which is 'optional on' the due date.

What I'm hoping to achieve is tasks that only show up on the due date. There are many tasks I need to do on a cyclic basis. I don't need to see them all the time in my task list, they tend to clutter up the place. Let's say I have a task on Sundays. It pops up on Sunday, if I check it off as done, either because I've done it or it's still hanging around undone three days later, then the following Sunday it pops up again.

Using the optional flag on a due date doesn't accomplish this. It's unclear to me what using this flag does.. My 'optional' tasks have a '? in front of the date, they are still there week to week. If I check one off, it pops up again with the next repeat date on the due date.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

Todd
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 07, 2015
Optional tasks will automatically get marked as completed when the due-date passes.

More info: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php#42
SES21

Posted: Oct 09, 2015
Try using a Start Date in conjunction with the optional Due Date & set the dates the same. Then you could hide future tasks & it won't show until its Start Date arrives. When you complete it (or not), the Start Date will move forward with the Due Date. Alternatively, you could consider using a Date view for your tasks.
Olivir2015

Another way is to use a Search View for this - if due date exists, show only if due date is today (or before?).
Salgud

I just use "Due Date | is before | tomorrow".
cj

Posted by Jake:
Optional tasks will automatically get marked as completed when the due-date passes.

More info: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php#42

I just found out the hard way that "repeating" (e.g. daily) tasks with optional due dates - get marked as complete BUT don't repeat ... ie. show up the next day. I had to recover 30 of these tasks yesterday ... AND also these "completed" tasks did NOT show up in the 'recently completed' area... they were DELETED.

I learned my lesson, but this was extremely counterintuitive, to say the least.
SES21

@cj

They do show up the next day but ONLY IF you set them to repeat! If not, then they are deleted when they aren't completed on the due date.
cj

Posted: Oct 15, 2015
Posted by SES21:
@cj

They do show up the next day but ONLY IF you set them to repeat! If not, then they are deleted when they aren't completed on the due date.

Nope - that's not what happened. They ALL were set for repeat (and optional) - and all got autodeleted.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 15, 2015
An optional task should only be deleted if it is non-repeating. Are you certain that you had given the tasks a due-date and a repeat setting?
cj

Posted: Oct 20, 2015
yes, I am certain -

(I am certain for 2 reasons
- the tasks that I used are ALWAYS repeating in my list ... and
- when I finally found them in the deleted list, their "repeat" status was still set

so I merely had to restore them, and then remove the "optional" status.

bug or not - I won't be trying this feature again!
Sabina A.

Posted: Oct 22, 2015
Posted by cj:
yes, I am certain -

(I am certain for 2 reasons
- the tasks that I used are ALWAYS repeating in my list ... and
- when I finally found them in the deleted list, their "repeat" status was still set

so I merely had to restore them, and then remove the "optional" status.

bug or not - I won't be trying this feature again!

Hi CJ,

We're sorry for the inconvenience. We'd like to get to the bottom of this. Can you check something for me? In your deleted tasks list, for these tasks, what does it say under "method"?
cj

Posted: Oct 23, 2015
They are not in the list anymore ... I restored them right away because they are critical tasks and I needed them. Sorry.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.