ForumsQuestionsSUGGESTION: Consider Change in How Date Selection Works

SUGGESTION: Consider Change in How Date Selection Works
FoggyBeach

Posted: Oct 20, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Here's something that happened to me because the date-selection system isn't quite standard.

I wanted to put in my next dentist appt for 7/25/2016. I advanced months from October to July, selected the 25th, and moved the cursor away from the dialog.

It showed the task as due in the past.

SUGGESTION 1: Advance the year when you go from Dec to Jan.

I opened the date entry dialog, and switched the year from 2015 to 2016. It didn't "take," because I didn't click on the day in the calendar box.

SUGGESTION 2: If someone changes the year, keep the same day of the month, and change the year.

SUGGESTION 3: Google has a gazillion dollars for development. They have quadrillions of users who have given them feedback on their calendar app. Their date/time entry has been perfected. Just copy their basic date/time entry system. If you try to reinvent the wheel, your wheel won't be as good.

http://i.imgur.com/ehOyJVy.png

This message was edited Oct 20, 2015.
Salgud

Posted by FoggyBeach:
Here's something that happened to me because the date-selection system isn't quite standard.

I wanted to put in my next dentist appt for 7/25/2016. I advanced months from October to July, selected the 25th, and moved the cursor away from the dialog.

It showed the task as due in the past.

SUGGESTION 1: Advance the year when you go from Dec to Jan.

I opened the date entry dialog, and switched the year from 2015 to 2016. It didn't "take," because I didn't click on the day in the calendar box.

SUGGESTION 2: If someone changes the year, keep the same day of the month, and change the year.

SUGGESTION 3: Google has a gazillion dollars for development. They have quadrillions of users who have given them feedback on their calendar app. Their date/time entry has been perfected. Just copy their basic date/time entry system. If you try to reinvent the wheel, your wheel won't be as good.

http://i.imgur.com/ehOyJVy.png

I have to disagree with your logic and your conclusion. The company with the most customers and the most money is not necessarily the best at what they do. A lot of factors, such as marketing, come into play. MS won the office applications war, but had a very inferior word processor to WordPerfect. I could go on with endless examples but I'll spare you. :)

I don't know where I saw it years ago, but I do remember what seemed to be the best date picker I'd ever seen in some software I was using at the time. The Google picker is ok, but not great, especially if you want to book a date more than a few months off. You have to click on the forward button many times. In my opinion, I think TD can do better.

For starters, I'd like to see both the Start Date and Due Date pickers in one dialog box, so I don't have to open the Start Date picker, enter the date (however that's done), then close it and open the Due Date picker. If you don't have a Start Date for that task, just ignore that part of the dialog box.
cj

I have always had issues with the date selector ... maybe not the same ones as the OP, but often, I have to do one or more of the following:
- change the date of a task to "tomorrow", next week etc using the KEYBOARD, and this is nearly impossible (ie - shortcuts? a better use of tabs?)
- set the date, and then quickly enable an alarm. again, when using the keyboard this is very counterintuitive and time consuming.
- other operations

suggestions
- while inside the second field (where i can type the date or "today" or "tomorrow") : Allow the up/down arrow to increment or decrement the date (this alone would be a huge help)
- enable Alt-A to toggle the Alarm checkmark
- enable other keyboard shortcuts for "Today, Tomorrow, Next Week, Month.." (Alt - t, o, w, m , respectively)
- to be complete about it, perhaps other shortcuts to choose the "due by" type

Sure, many will see this as useless or overkill, but for those of us who really like to do things fast with the keyboard, these would be amazing time savers, and productivity boosters - which is what Toodledo is about, right?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions. We plan to improve the date picker as part of our Tasks redesign.
Salgud

Posted: Oct 27, 2015
Posted by Jake:
Thanks for the suggestions. We plan to improve the date picker as part of our Tasks redesign.

That's good news for ALL of us!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.