ForumsQuestionsQuick search

Quick search
n4simpson

Posted: Nov 28, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Hi. Am I missing something or has the ability to Quick Search task notes now gone from the web app? You can still do it form the iOS app (indeed the iOS app defaults to title + note) so why not via the web interface? It seems a pretty basic function to be missing.

I realise you can search task notes via an Advanced Search but that's rather long winded.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 30, 2015
Quick Search has moved. Click the magnifying glass at the top of the page to reveal it. Please read here for an explanation of this change: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/22077/0/tasks-redesign-part-5.html
Adrien Beau

The question was about searching inside Task Notes (rather than Task Titles) from the Quick Search. I tested it: it appears the Quick Search only searches for titles currently.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, that is how it's always been. To search inside a task you will need to use the "Advanced Search". We have plans to make Simple Search more powerful in the future.
Salgud

Bit of a workaround, but you can search both using a Saved Search. You can also search whatever's open on the page (making sure task notes are exposed) using Ctrl-F from your browser.
Martys To Do

Any plans to have a quick search available on the saved searches list?
n4simpson

Posted: Dec 01, 2015
Thanks Jake. Odd that you get this functionality in the iOS app, but not the website. It really reduces the usefulness of quick search for me. Hopefully it's easy to add to the website as well.

Salgud - thanks. I've tried the Saved Search route, but it's more clicks (as opposed to hitting "F" when in All Tasks) and, unless I'm missing something, you can't save blank searches, so you have to click on the saved search and then clear the search words each time.

Kudos for the Ctrl + F work around. I'd not thought of that. Hit Z then Ctrl +F. It's more than just "F" but not bad for the meantime. Cheers!
coolexplorer

Posted: Dec 04, 2015
Posted by n4simpson:
Salgud - Kudos for the Ctrl + F work around. I'd not thought of that. Hit Z then Ctrl +F. It's more than just "F" but not bad for the meantime. Cheers!

Why do you hit Z? Just Ctrl+F works for me in Google Chrome. Ah, may depend on the browser.
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Dec 04, 2015
I think its Z to go to multi-line and then the Ctrl+F to search everything in the browser find menu
n4simpson

Posted: Dec 05, 2015
That's right. I wanted to be able to search task notes as well. Z opens the notes in multi line view. I don't use the grid view so that may not be needed in that view.
Jane_1531101093

Posted: Dec 17, 2015
n4simpson, I have found that using the advanced search - task contains (word) [not having any notes contains (word)] has always searched tasks and notes for me - until recently with this latest flurry of activities. One day I am doing a search, a few days later the same search doesn't work.

Were you thinking that? That the advanced search task contained search actually searched task and note fields?
Quick search doesn't find it - I realized a year or two ago that quick search often didn't find things that an advanced search task contains with the same word found.

However, this feature has recently gone away. Maybe in the flurry of activities some coder closed up a "feature" we were using that wasn't supposed to work that way - having been in the industry for decades I have seen that happen often.
n4simpson

Posted: Dec 18, 2015
Hi Business Support. Thanks for your input. That wasn't my issue but I agree it sounds like a bug. Pity Toodledo doesn't just implement a global search like many other apps (MyLifeOrganized, Omnifocus, Todoist etc) it would be a real help. Saved searches are great but sometimes you just need to run a once off search on the fly. Here's hoping ????
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 21, 2015
Its definitely on our todo list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.