ForumsQuestionsTask repetition not always correct.

Task repetition not always correct.
mjStallinger

Posted: Dec 31, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Hi there!

The task repeaters 'bimonthly' and 'semianually' seem to do not work correctly in a special case (note: my timezone-settings are set to GMT+1).
In the first picture ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Zoc6hWV59YeWh1TjNPVXJjVjA ), you can see, that due-date is Today (here: 2015-12-31) and repetition is bimonthly (meaning here: every 2 months).
After completing the task once, due-date is 2016-08-31 (!!) (see second picture - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Zoc6hWV59YY21VaHFHOUFtT0U ).

This strange behavior also occurs, if semianually is selected. But it does NOT appear during the year.

Regards!
Michael
Sabina A.

Score: -1 Reference
Hi Michael,

I think I know the problem. Since there are not 31 days in every month, this is causing unexpected behaviors. The best option for tasks due at the end of each month is to set them to the 30th, so they repeat properly. However, since February only has 29 days, you'll have to manually change the due date to Feb. 29th and then change it to April 30th after that. It will repeat properly from then on.

We're very sorry for the inconvenience. We understand it's frustrating, but this is currently the only workaround.
ChristianDiscer

Score: 1 Reference
One possible workaround for the end of the month, regardless of the number of days is to create a task due on the first of every month and set an alarm for "1 day" before.
mjStallinger

Posted: Jan 03, 2016
Thank you for the workaround(s). It's only a problem, if i choose to 'repeat by completion date' then. Nonetheless, please fix this bug soon!

This message was edited Jan 03, 2016.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 04, 2016
This is a common point of confusion. When a task repeats to a non-existent date (as happens with monthly repeating from the 31st), then Toodledo will skip that date and repeat it again until it finds a valid date. This is exactly how most calendar applications do it (iCal, Google Calendar, Outlook, etc), so we wanted to be consistent. If you want a task that repeats on the last day of the month, my suggestion is to have it repeat on the 1st instead and give it an alarm or start-date one-day ahead. Since a task is repeated based on the due-date (1st of the month), the alarm/start-date will always be the last of the month.
mjStallinger

Posted: Jan 05, 2016
Hi Jake. I see, thanks for the explanation.

But, what if I selected 'repeat task from completion date' and complete it on a 31st? Then, I unintentionally forward my task much more than I intended? Or is simply the next day chosen?

Regards - and - happy new year :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 05, 2016
In the scenario you described, the task will go 2 months forward to the next month that had a 31st. If you are concerned about this, you could change the task to repeat "every 30 days" instead of "every 1 month" and it will not skip, however it will drift a little bit over time and not always be at the end of each month.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.