ForumsQuestionsDefault values for e-mailing tasks?

Default values for e-mailing tasks?
Linden

Posted: Jun 18, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
So, I recently decided to enable adding tasks to Toodledo using e-mail.

I set a few defaults values so I didn't have to worry about setting things like folders or contexts if I was e-mailing in a hurry. (Basically, I set up an "inbox" for unprocessed tasks, so I can quickly find new tasks and edit fields as needed.)

Unfortunately, it looks like those default values aren't being applied to my e-mails. I had to hunt for a task that I added the other day, and it would have been faster to login to Toodledo in the end.

So, is this something I'm doing wrong, or does e-mail actually not support default values? If it doesn't support the defaults, can this functionality be added in the future? (Please?)

Thanks!
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Defaults don't apply to tasks added remotely, and I agree it would be nice if they did.
TheGriff_2

Please add this as a +1.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
We do plan to make defaults work for remotely added tasks. The reason why we haven't done this yet, is because there would be no way to override the default value in some cases, so we need to figure out how to deal with that.
Linden

Posted: Jun 19, 2009
Nice to know it's on the dev list!

Regarding overriding defaults, I had imagined that if I didn't specify a field, the system would use the default, but if I entered it that would override the default. Basically that only fields left empty would have default values filled in.

This is like what happens if I create a task in a folder or context tab -- the field corresponding to the tab I'm in is auto-filled, but the others take my default settings.

Anyway, it always looks simpler on paper (or the imagination) than in the code block. Thanks for working on it!
Martin

Posted: Jul 13, 2009
Just wanted to let you (Toodledo guys) know that I'd also like this feature. I'm using the email interface as a quick way to dump stuff into my system. I'll sort them out later on.

Cheers!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.