ForumsQuestionsIphone app sync

Iphone app sync
loxendine

Posted: Jun 22, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the iphone app sync over 3G and wifi, or just wifi? Thanks!
Anders

Either one. There are no stupid questions.
loxendine

Thanks Anders. I notice you help out a lot in the forums. I appreciate the help. A few more sync questions for anyone.

1. When you open the iphone app and sync begins, can you move around in the app and do things, or do you have to wait until sync is complete?

2. If I have 50 tasks, how long approximately would it take to sync over 3G?

3. When you exit the app and sync begins, does the sync take place in the background so I can open another application, like true multitasking?

Thanks again!

This message was edited Jun 22, 2009.
Anders

Posted by loxendine:
1. When you open the iphone app and sync begins, can you move around in the app and do things, or do you have to wait until sync is complete?

You can move around, but it is so quick that you will not have time to do much before it finishes.

2. If I have 50 tasks, how long approximately would it take to sync over 3G?

I have an iPod Touch, so I can't tell you specifically how long the sync will take on 3G, but I can tell you on Wifi, it is very fast, and it doesn't change much between a fast Wifi network, and a slow one. Even on my university's public Wifi, which is like sludge, Toodledo syncs in a flash. I would imaging 3G can't be any slower than that. Anyway, we're talking about a few seconds here.

3. When you exit the app and sync begins, does the sync take place in the background so I can open another application, like true multitasking?

Yes. Apparently Apple allows Apps to run for a few seconds in the background after closing (to save changes, etc. I guess), and Toodledo has taken advantage of that to sync on closing.

~Anders
loxendine

You are the man! Making the purchase today. Thanks again!
Anders

Just FYI, if you have OS 3.0, you should read this: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/2229/0/iphone-30.html
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You can continue to move around while the sync is happening in the background. When the sync finishes, the lists will automatically update. You should avoid editing a task while a sync is going, because this might cause that task to get out of sync with the server. In the next update we have fixed this.

Apple allows an application to run in the background for about 5 seconds, which we were taking advantage of to sync changes. Unfortunately, for some people on slow networks, the sync wouldn't finish in 5 seconds, so it was getting terminated which was causing some tasks to get duplicated. In the next update, we have removed "sync on quit", but we are exploring ways to get more continuous syncing in a future update.

The initial sync of 50 tasks may take a few seconds, but future syncs will only send the changes, so if you have edited 2 tasks, it only sends those 2 tasks, which is really fast.
Anders

Posted by Toodledo:
In the next update, we have removed "sync on quit", but we are exploring ways to get more continuous syncing in a future update.

That is too bad. A background sync after making changes would be a great replacement. A sync button on the top of all pages would be nice to have as well once sync on quit is gone. Maybe shake to sync, like PI uses, could work as well.
loxendine

I just bought the iphone app with the understanding that it will sync on exit. It is working really great. It is a shame to remove such a nice feature because some are having problems. Hopefully you will make that an option or provide another mechanism, as removing critical features is not a good direction that developers should be taking.
Proximo

Posted by Anders:
Either one. There are no stupid questions.

My Drill Sergeant told me this during my basic training in the US Army.

The first question I asked, I had my face planted in the concrete while he yelled at me calling me an idiot and some other names I can't share here. :-)
Proximo

If Apple would allow running applications in the background, this would be easier for Toodledo to support. With the new push notifications on OS 3.0, maybe there is a work around.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 23, 2009
We never like to remove functionality, but this was causing a lot of problems and wasn't actually a good design choice to begin with. The 5 seconds after closing the app are not guaranteed by Apple. However, not to worry because we have a plan for better syncing that will be much better anyway.
loxendine

Good to hear. Thanks for the information!
mantajbrar

Need some help. I've been using this app for sometime without any problems until recently when eveytime I sync my iPhone with iTunes the application disappears from my iPhone. This happens with both iPhone os 3.0 and 2. Despite being missing from my iPhone the application always is listed on iTunes.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Only thing I can think of is that you could have iTunes set to sync selected apps and don't have Toodledo checked. Click on your iPhone in iTunes, and then click on the Applications tab. You should either have it set to sync all applications or have the Toodledo app checked if it is set to sync selected apps.
mantajbrar

Posted: Jun 25, 2009
Thanks! That worked. I don't know how only that app was unselected for sync though.
Fernando

Posted: Jun 26, 2009
Hi, I am using Toodledo in the iphone 3G for months now. For me it is the best tasks manager for iphone so far. I dont know if this is the place to make suggestions but I have 2 very important to me.
1- It is great that we can remove the overdue tasks from the today list, but if we like to see yesterday´s todos and you have a lot of overdues (my case) it is not convenient at all because they are at the very bottom of the list. Is it possible to invert sorting so that the yesterday´s todos are the top of the list? Alternatively it would be very nice to have every task on its due date and be able to move dates sliding left-right (but this maybe more difficult to implement, I assume).
2-Is there still the limit of 750 tasks to sync? Any plans to increase that number?

Many thanks for the app and the support

Fernando
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 26, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.

There is not a 750 task per sync limit.
Fernando

Posted: Jun 27, 2009
If you take my suggestion I will be happy.
Good to know that there is no limit for number of tasks.
Fernando
Mark

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
We never like to remove functionality, but this was causing a lot of problems and wasn't actually a good design choice to begin with. The 5 seconds after closing the app are not guaranteed by Apple. However, not to worry because we have a plan for better syncing that will be much better anyway.

Have noticed with the update that sync on exit has gone. Very disappointing although I understand some were having issues.

Perhaps you could have left it as a selectable option?

For a lot of us there was no problem with it. At the very least I think you need to put a static sync button in as it's simply a pain to have to go back and fourth to the main screen - particularly if this isn't the screen you tend to start up on.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.