ForumsQuestionshow can I move a completed task so it isn't a subtask?

how can I move a completed task so it isn't a subtask?
Qrystal

Posted: May 20, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I organized a writing project awhile ago into *chapters* with subtasks representing the *sections* of the chapters. Recently, I've realized I want to break up my sections into smaller, more pallatable Next Actions.

So what I want to do, is to get rid of my chapter tasks altogether (since they're basically just placeholders for an organization scheme I no longer want to use). I'll just use the section tasks as the parent tasks. The idea is easy enough, and for most of them, there's no problem.

However, I have one "old completed subtask" that I can see in some views, but as soon as I try to expand so I can drag it out of the parent task, all I see is "There is also 1 old completed subtask that is not displayed." I've tried Folder view, All Tasks view with sort by folder, and Search view, to no avail.

If I could recreate the task, and give it a customized Completed date, I would be fine with that as a workaround...

Any other thoughts/ideas? Did I explain this clearly enough?

This message was edited May 20, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted: Jul 26, 2008
I am doing a review of this writing project, and still finding it difficult to overcome this issue.

I'm so proud of actually completing one section, I don't want to lose that Date Completed status!

I hate to bug ya, but is this field going to be editable anytime soon? If so, I'll just go ahead and make a note to myself in the Note field of the actual completion date, uncheck the task so I can move it out from the parent task, and recheck it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 26, 2008
There is currently not a way to do what you are suggesting. Actually, you can do this using the API, but that is probably too technical of a solution for you. My suggestion would be to recreate the completed task and make a note of the original completion date. Since it is completed, you probably don't refer back to it that often anyway, so it probably won't bother you too much (hopefully) :)

I'll add something to our todo list to make it possible to extract a subtask that has been completed more than 1 week ago.
Qrystal

Posted: Jul 29, 2008
Thanks. I am tempted to peer into the API to see what it would take, but I don't actually use the Date Completed fields all that much, because they are so often wrong for so many reasons... like if I don't check in at Toodledo for a few days, which is often the case on the weekend.

I don't exactly understand why modifying the Date Completed is not permitted. Would allowing this seriously complicate the workings of Toodledo? You allow so much flexibility in so many other fields; why must you be so strict about the Completion date?

And if modifying the completion date were possible, it would also be possible to extract a subtask that has been completed more than 1 week ago. There may be other great advantages to this too!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 29, 2008
There is no good reason why we have not made the completion date editable through the website. It is just a matter of time for us to implement it.

It is our opinion that the completion date is one of the least important fields and that it is not a big deal if it is off by a day or two, so we have been prioritizing other features (like advanced search and multi-edit) above making the completion date editable.

In an ideal world we would have unlimited resources, but we don't, so we try to focus on things that provide the maximum benefit.

I'd be happy to manually edit that one task for you. If you want me to, please use the "contact us" form to give me permission to look at your list and give me the details about which task you want edited and how you want it edited.
Qrystal

Posted: Jul 31, 2008
Ah, thanks, and I'd say that IS a good reason for the completion date not to be editable yet!

I totally agree that it isn't a big deal, and I'm sorry if I was making it sound as if it was a bigger deal than it actually is. I just passionately feel that Toodledo is the best task manager I've ever seen, and am overly keen on seeing it get even closer to perfection.

And no thanks, I do not need to take up your time by having you manually edit the task. Please just keep up the good work you're doing!

Also: thanks for putting up with so many of us asking for so much! :)
whitten

Posted: Dec 05, 2008
Just a vote to have the completion date editable.
Since I can't edit it, I have a tendency not to check things off,
which means I can't trust the data in Toodledo for reports, trends, etc.
I want Toodledo to be the web-based task-manager of choice, since it is generally so useful.
DavidSzp

Posted: Apr 19, 2009
As many things as are on the "todo" list (pun intended :-) I would like to throw in a vote for making Date Completed editable. I often don't check things off until I review tasks the next day (even if it's just after midnight) and I'd like to be able to make the completion date accurate in some cases to make reports/history more accurate. It could just be a regularly-editable field allowing any past date to be entered, in the History view or something simple like that, as another column.
James L. Felder

Posted: Apr 20, 2009
I strongly second (maybe 200th) the suggestion to make completion date editable. I am a *bad* task list user in that I sometimes forget to check off my completed tasks. I use the printed list (great feature BTW!) and check tasks off my printed list. The trouble is that I forget to log back in and check of the ones I have completed. So when I review my task list I often find tasks that are done, just not checked off. And to my chagrin, that can be a couple weeks even. Looking at a histogram of completion dates it looks like I am uber productive on some days and an absolute slug on others.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.