ForumsQuestionsiPhone Push Notifications

iPhone Push Notifications
Nick

Posted: Jul 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I think I just need some clarification on Push Notifications. I purchased the new app last night and set it up completely. - I feel I'm going to be a lot more productive because of it, thanks! - I have gotten push notifications to work including the window, badge update, and sound.

My question is, and i only ask because of the discussion on the iPhone App thread, is when should i receive the notifications? From the description of changes for 1.5 I'm under the impression that the notifications should show at the due time, i.e. if i have a task scheduled due at 14:00, the notification should arrive at 14:00. Why i'm confused: you have to establish a reminder for the Notifications to work, as a free user that time frame is established as 1 hour. This makes me think that the Notifications should arrive 1 hour prior to due time, i.e. due at 14:00, notification shows at 13:00. Can i please get some clarification on how it should be?

FYI, as stated i am receiving Notifications, approximately 4 minutes prior to due time. I understand that there may be a delay (up to 15 min?) because of the severs.

Nick

This message was edited Jul 03, 2009.
Anders

Notifications should arrive 1 hour before the task's Due Time for basic users(Pro subscibers have more options). The notification should be within 5 minutes of that lead time. If you are getting them an hour later, near the task's actual Due Time, there is probably an inconsistency between your time zone settings on your iPhone and in your Toodledo Account Settings. I would check those, and make sure they match.
Nick

Anders, Thanks!. Time settings were off on the site. I just tested it and its working as you stated, I received the notification 64 minutes prior.

Thanks for the help.

This message was edited Jul 03, 2009.
woklist

Sorry to jump in: To receive a notification or sound or badge update I have to set the "Remind me" checkbox in the due date/time box?

THX

Wolfgang
Anders

Badge updates do not depend on the reminder box. The badge will just update every 4 hours or so. It will also update when you recieve a reminder for a task.

To receive the notification popup/sound, you have to check the reminder box.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Only tasks with the "remind me" checkbox checked will trigger a reminder. The task also needs a due-date (and optionally a due-time) so it knows when to send the reminder.

The reminder is sent based on the due-time (noon if no time is set) offset by the reminder time. Free accounts have a 1 hour reminder lead-time, so a 4:00pm task will have the reminder sent at 3:00.

Due to delays in various parts of the system, actual reminders may be off by +/- 5 minutes.

The badge will update every 4 hours no matter what.
woklist

Posted: Jul 04, 2009
Ok, I found it!

You have to go to your account - setting and select "iPhone" in your reminder - system.

Now it works, and its GREAT. I have lots of phone calls to do, like "I am from 11 am until 1 pm in the office, call me then".

So this is tremendous helpfull.

Wolfgang
woklist

Posted: Jul 04, 2009
Aaaaaah: Even greater!

I aways put the phone number in the note field, and since 1.5 I can tap on it and it offers me to dial the number.

PERFECT COMBO.

Thanks for providing it for such a low price tag...

Wolfgang

This message was edited Jul 04, 2009.
emmotive

Posted: Jul 05, 2009
Hi,

The iPhone alarms pull down seems odd in it's function AND its lack of appropriate reminders.

Why not wheels with numbers, and another with minutes/hours/days for better flexibility?

Failing that, can we please not have some mechanism for specifying an alarm at 8 or 9 am on the day it's due OR even an 8 hour reminder as my due time is usually 5pm and I want to be reminded at 9am?

Thanks, Ian
dr.aarong

Posted by emmotive:
iPhone alarms [...]
Why not wheels with numbers, and another with minutes/hours/days for better flexibility?

Agree, although for specifying a date, a button that allows us to choose a date from a real calendar is FAR preferable! That's how we think of dates!
Francesco

Hi to all.

I tried to follow all the steps but I wasn't be able to make Push Notifications work.

on Toodledo.com
- in "Modify Date and Time Settings" I set date and time of my Country (Italy)
- in "Import/Export/Sync I set iPhone in the first Alarm slot (the others are empty)

on iPhone:
- Push Notifications activated (sound, badge, popup)
- I created a task due "by" today at a specified hour and with an alarm for 15' before (I'm a Pro subscrber)
- Sync'd with Toodledo.com

I wated for the notification...but nothing happened.

Have I made something wrong?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Francesco
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
It really sounds like you have done everything correctly. Did you make sure to click Save Changes after selecting iPhone on the Toodledo reminder configuration page?
sventhebrit

Score: 1 Reference
@Francesco

Try entering an email address as a reminder destination (Alarm Slot) and then check if the email arrives.

If I set a reminder for 15 mins before the event, it typically arrives 19mins before -- so make sure you give it enough time to arrive. Set the due time 30mins in the future to be sure.

Also, you need an active data connection for the push to work -- so make sure your phone has reception to recieve the notification.

Steve
Anders

All goog points Steve., especially about the lead time. It will be within 5 minutes of the set time, but mine are also invariably 4 minutes early.
john

Is the only place you can set the time is on the web? In the app (which I just bought), it lets you set a reminder before it's due time but it doesn't let you set the due time unless I'm missing something.

J.

This message was edited Jul 05, 2009.
Anders

You can enable/disable many fields including Due Time in the app settings under Fields & Defaults. Just hit Reorder and drag Due Time (and any othr fields you want to use), up to the Fields Used portion.
Francesco

Posted: Jul 06, 2009
I found the problem.
When I went to set the Alarms on Toodledo.com i found "iPhone" already set in the first slot.
I tried to Save Changes with None set and then set iPhone again and save changes...and it worked :)

Thanks to all for the help.

There should be a bug in the system, because there are disallignements when I try to modify the date of a task. If I modify the date and sync, if I go on toodledo.com I don't always see the date changed and sometimes I see a similar date, not the same date I set. For example, if I set 08:30, then I see 08:18 and if I sync again I have 08:18 on my iPhone too...very strange.
sankm0

Posted: Jul 29, 2009
It does not send reminders for recurring tasks to my iphone although it works well for tasks which have "repeat" field set to none. How do I get it working for recurring tasks as well?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 29, 2009
Someone else reported this too, although I have repeating tasks that are sending reminders without a problem so I have not been able to reproduce it. I will look into it. If you have a Pro account, you can add an email reminder as well, and if that comes through but the iPhone one doesn't then you'll know it is an iPhone problem. If neither come through, then it is a reminder problem. That would be helpful for us to know.
sankm0

Posted: Jul 30, 2009
I have a pro account. I'll try with email reminders too. By the way, I can get reminders for some recurring tasks but not for all of them. Following is the one pattern that is giving me trouble.
"when you have more than one recurring task with same due date/time (daily, 11:45 am) and 15 minutes lag for reminder then it does not work but when I have a single recurring task for the due date/time (daily, 11:45 am) then I get the reminder".
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.