ForumsQuestionsiOS 10.1.1 crashing Toodledo

iOS 10.1.1 crashing Toodledo
mark_1337909683

Posted: Nov 11, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
I thought that I had posted this question yesterday in discussion yet I do not see it on the board. I'm re-posting now as a question.

Ever since updating the iPhone 6 to 10.1.1 Toodledo consistently crashes. The crash is a simple 'app closes' but results in the screen going blank, then a twirling logo, then the logon screen. Oddly, it seems once the app crashes and is reopened the app tends to be fine for a while (no longer than a day).

Is this known by you?

Mark
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Yes, we are working on it. We have discovered and fixed one bug with Toodledo and iOS 10.1 which is related to syncing tasks from Apple Reminders. Do you sync with Apple Reminders? There may be another 10.1 bug too that we are working to isolate.
mark_1337909683

The app worked fine with 10.1. My problem is with 10.1.1

I do not sync w/Apple anything.

I use Gsyncit to sync between Windows desktop Outlook, your website and then to your app. The app does not crash during a sync operation. The crash always seems to occur when I'm editing an existing task and 'I think' when I'm in the process of editing a new task.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 13, 2016
Thanks for the extra info. We are looking into it.
mark_1337909683

Posted: Nov 14, 2016
Yesterday, I just had the app open to tasks. I did not have a task open to edit. The app crashed.
mark_1337909683

Posted: Nov 19, 2016
App crashed 3 times yesterday.

iTunes has been pestering me about downloading/installing 10.1.1 even though already installed. Per Apple forum, the update is a newer build and carries the same version #. Currently I'm having difficulty (at Apple's end) downloading the update. However, once downloaded, I'm just wondering if the bug is Apple's or you? Have you all tested the app/bug with this latest build?

Mark
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 21, 2016
We have an iOS update in beta testing right now that hopefully fixes the crashing issues with 10.1. We'll let the beta testers play with it for a few days and then send it to Apple for review soon.
mark_1337909683

Posted: Nov 22, 2016
The '2nd build' of 10.1.1 'broke' my phone. Apple telephone support could not restore/update. I was sent to a local Apple store w/a priority case#. The store has the ability to restore not just the OS but the firmware. I walked out of the store with a functioning phone and the most current build of 10.1.1 (the same one that broke my phone)

The phone continues to crash 2-3 times/day depending upon Toodledo use.

Bottom line, the problem is not with the iOS update.

Mark
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 22, 2016
Yes, we know. iOS 10.1 made some changes that breaks Toodledo, so we have an update coming out soon that fixes it.
mark_1337909683

Posted: Dec 04, 2016
I believe I'm running a newer version (3.3.7 (5209)). If that's correct then the crash problem with iOS 10.1.1 remains unfixed. You are likely aware of this--just being certain.

Mark
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 05, 2016
We fixed two crashes in the last update, but there may be a 3rd that we haven't found yet. We are looking into it.
mark_1337909683

Posted: Dec 06, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
I would change the 'maybe' a third to 'there's a third'. Happy hunting ;-)
Derek (Personal)

Posted: Dec 10, 2016
This is definitely still an issue. I don't know if it is an issue with the iOS app directly, it might be something to do with the sync server/API. I have 3 Toodledo accounts: personal, work, family and I use 3 separate apps to manage them since the Toodledo app will only work with 1 account. These apps (Pocket Informant, Toodleo and Todo) all crash frequently when trying to sync to Toodledo. However, the Toodledo iOS app is GUARANTEED to crash. I can make it happen on demand every time I open the app and check off a task (it subsequently tries to push the completed state to the server and crashes). Same thing happens when editing due to the push.

I also suspect the issues with sync are why checking off a task takes 10-20 seconds now for the subsequent recurring task to show up in the app also resulting in unresponsiveness in the Toodleo iOS app.

Just thought I would share. Still an issue, like mark_1337909683 said.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 12, 2016
We are trying very hard to reproduce this bug so we can fix it, but we haven't been able to yet. Can you please create a support ticket so that we can get more information from you. In particular we would like to figure out if it really is the syncing that causes the crash or the editing. To determine this, you could put the phone into Airplane mode and then go in and make some edits and see if it crashes. Then turn Airplane mode off and press the sync button in the setting section and see if that causes the crash. This answer will really help us figure out what is going wrong.

If you have more time to experiment:

1) Does the crash only happen when completing a task, or does editing the title and syncing cause the crash too?
2) If the crash only happens when completing a task and then it syncing, can it be any task, or does it need to be a repeating task?
Olivir2015

Posted: Dec 13, 2016
This is really strange, because for me, Toodledo on iOs does never crash. I know, it doesn't help any way, just saying.
mark_1337909683

Posted: Dec 14, 2016
As for me and to further confound--

I can say for 100% that my crashing problems are not necessarily linked to syncing. In fact, I cannot remember an incident when the app crashed during a sync.

Completing a repeating task has not triggered a crash.

My crashes almost always occur while editing a task and, from memory, almost always in the text area not the header.

Mark
mark_1337909683

Posted: Dec 14, 2016
One of my last statements was incorrect.

The app does clearly crash while in a text area edit screen that was opened prior to the start of 'start/exit' sync.

Mark
mark_1337909683

Posted: Dec 21, 2016
No crash post download your latest version a few days ago (trusting I'm not jinxing this <g>)

Mark
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.