ForumsQuestionsAdd an iOS sync option?

Add an iOS sync option?
mark_1337909683

Posted: Jan 03, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
You currently have sync on open/close as a single option.

When I choose to add a task on the phone I first have to wait for the sync operation to complete before continuing. Often waiting is not a welcome prospect given a current situation. When I know I'll be doing a lot of task work during a period, I often turn sync off. That's fine as long as I remember to turn sync back on!

What is the argument for splitting the current single sync option into a separate sync on open, sync on close?

Mark
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You do not need to wait for sync to finish before continuing. You can go ahead and add your task right away and the sync will continue in the background.
mark_1337909683

I wish. Whether I'm in process of creating/editing a task or opening new, as soon as sync starts any and all input is frozen until sync completes. This has always been my experience.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Hmm, thats unusual. I'll have to look into this.
shelbyp

Posted: Jan 05, 2017
Hello,
actually I second the importance of this request. I am on Iphone 5s, the sync is slow and blocks the app. I would prefer that we had an extra option to sync on close rather than on open/close. This is basically what I need most of the time on the Iphone. most of the times on the IPhone I just add tasks quickly while on public transportation, but don't use it for much more (although I realize others may be doing a lot more). Most of my real work is done on the webapp on my computer where I have the benefit of the large screen.

If a true non-blocking background sync were available that would be sufficient also.
J. Michael Stahl

Posted: Jan 06, 2017
I would like to toss my hat in for some time of background push sync. I think that would help solve this problem some.
mark_1337909683

Posted: Jan 08, 2017
I'm for whatever is your easiest (quickest) coding method.

If it's to do all syncing in the background like the native iPhone calendar does or,

Split the options as suggested or,

Insert a 'Kill' button that allows you to abort the sync, get on with your task work and then let sync clean up upon exit,

I think they all accomplish our goal of not having to (sometimes) anxiously watch the frozen syncing screen until the app allows user input :-)!

This problem is the only reason that I do not use the app for grocery shopping. I could turn off syncing but as I've mentioned I'm rather good at forgetting to turn it back on.

Also, I've recommended the software to at least 3 folks since my download. But to be candid, I did so with the caveat that the app had a real limitation for 'real time' iOS work--the sync freeze.

Mark
shelbyp

Posted: Jan 09, 2017
actually on the Iphone I don't turn the sync off and on. Due to this limitation we are discussing, I have unfortunately moved to manualys sync manually, but this is not very convenient as it requires multiple actions before I get to the sync icon, and has been mentioned occasionally I forget also.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 09, 2017
I have tested this a bunch over the last week, and I have not been able to make the sync cause the rest of the app to freeze. For me, in all my testing, the sync happens while I move around in the app and add tasks and do whatever I need to do. I am sure that there is some way to get the sync to freeze the rest of the app, but I haven't been able to cause it yet, so its difficult for me to figure out what it is. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime, if you turn off the "sync on start" and turn on "sync on edit", and then manually sync every so often, this should solve your problem.

If you have any other tips about how I can cause this problem to happen, I would love to hear it.
shelbyp

Posted: Jan 10, 2017
Hi Jake, thanks for the follow-up the sync on edit is probably sufficient for me... didn't think of that, I have switched it on already.

I have a comment on the sync though. I do find it is quite slow for my case (I am on IOS Iphone 5s). I rarely have more than say 3-4 tasks and 1 or 2 notes pages which have changed. In principle for a sync all that is needed is to check all last modified times since the last successful sync and update those which are newer. I have no attachments (images files etc) so the content of tasks and notes that need syncing is very small and I have a fast internet (4G but issue is the same on 1GB wifi).

Given the time it takes it almost looks like it is updating all the content ie even those which are obviously up to date since the last modified time is well in the past relative to last successful full sync.

In principle I don't see why the app sync is so much slower than the web page sync.
ejmichel

are there plans to improve the iOS app?

1 put SYNC in each menu (tasks, notes etc)
it never syncs and i have a iPhone 7 plus with very good cell and wireless service - i have to CONSTANTLY sync it and the SYNC option is only in Settings

2 completing a task
this is so annoying... you click on a task to complete it and .... nothing happens

there is no refresh button or action or is there? i couldnt find one

so the only thing i could find is to switch to NOTES and then back to TASKS

really not intuitive... so why cant the task disappear once you click complete? or there be a "refresh" icon ...
THIS IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING about the mobile app.

3 i love your website - i love the tasks and the ability to chose all the options i want for categorizing a task however i really do not like the design of the iOS app

i have left TD several times for W....List because their app is so good however i hate their website and the categorization features suck. so i come back to TD and then i have to deal with the iOS apps (both phone and iPad) which just irritate me.

i am trying to use the new Informant 5 to see if that will work as a mobile solution for TD

just really wish the mobile apps had a better design and feature set.

4 Can we run beta.toodledo on mobile device (browser)?

This message was edited Jan 10, 2017.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, you can run beta.toodledo.com on a mobile device. It should work great.

Regarding the list not refreshing immediately when you check off a task. This is how the website works too. It would be jarring if a task disappeared instantly when you complete it. And some people complete a task and then edit the note to write something down. If the task disappeared it would be difficult to do this. To refresh the list in the app there are a variety of ways to do this. You can switch to notes and back, like you have discovered. You can tap the back button and then tap to view the list again. You can also tap the "show" button and then the done button.
mark_1337909683

Posted: Feb 07, 2017
So I can understand my sync problem better--

As I've said recently and maybe a year or so ago, the (my) iOS app has never not stalled on sync. Over the years, whenever I've run into a Windows/DOS program bug the thing was intermittent and required me providing parameter feedback to allow the programmer some way to zero in on the problem. However, I'm utterly mystified that the sync problem I always have, never not have had--you cannot get to ever occur! So there's obviously no way to provide parameters.

Given we're dealing with Apple--1 OS and a few versions of their hardware, the condition makes even less sense (not being a programmer).

Since I'm not going to mail you my phone <g> and apparently there's no log for you to review, other than uninstall and reinstall the app I guess we're sort of at zero figuring out why?

Mark
mark_1337909683

Posted: Feb 11, 2017
FYI, I tried sync on edit vs. start. Once I make the change to a task and close the task the app syncs and freezes the screen.

Mark
ejmichel

Posted: Feb 13, 2017
thanks for the reply

Still i would like to request a way to do a manual refresh - in windows i can do RELOAD or CTRL R
there is nothing like that in the iOS app

perhaps a symbol like the half open circle (for refresh) like in browsers?

really is a pita to constantly go back to a section and forth to the todolist to add more items
i hate it in windows too but at least i can quickly refresh with keystrokes or mouse click.

as some others have pointed out.
i love the mechanics and principles of TOODLEDO but your mobile apps are sorely in need of redesign.

at least every few months i go over to wunderlist or todoist and use them for awhile because of their mobile apps and the ease of use but then i miss the features that make Toodledo great. ... and head back to you with reluctance bec of the app design. I even have tried ways of sending tasks to TD from other apps just so i can still use TD but with the mobile app of the 'other' apps.

perhaps you have plans for new mobile apps? if so can you share that even if its sometime in the future...

it just seems like its 2017 and app design has moved light years from 3. 4. and 5 years ago and yet Toodledo has not .
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.